Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading October 2018?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

What are you reading October 2018?

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue October 2nd, 2018, 3:48 pm

I'm doing 'finish up books on the Kindle' month. America's First Daughter and the Alice Network.
Little time to read as we race the rainy season to get our building project done.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & And So It Begins by Rachel Abbott (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Re: What are you reading October 2018?

Postby Vanessa » Tue October 2nd, 2018, 9:28 pm

I've just started Transcription by Kate Atkinson, a story about spies (MI5) during WWII, well, at least about a girl who transcribes conversations.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Postby princess garnet » Wed October 3rd, 2018, 4:37 pm

Messenger by Moonlight by Stephanie Grace Whitson
Novel about the Pony Express

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & And So It Begins by Rachel Abbott (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.

Postby Vanessa » Fri October 5th, 2018, 11:26 am

I've just read the first stave of And So It Begins by Rachel Abbott, a psychological thriller, on the Pigeonhole app. Roll on tomorrow!

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Postby Mythica » Sat October 6th, 2018, 3:01 pm

"A Well Behaved Woman" - an ARC from NetGalley. I'm 1/3 into it and so far, it's just okay.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & The Travelling Bag by Susan Hill
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Mon October 8th, 2018, 9:25 am

A spooky Halloween read "The Silent Companions" by Laura Purcell.
Currently reading "The Silent Companions" by Laura Purcell & The Travelling Bag by Susan Hill

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Postby princess garnet » Tue October 9th, 2018, 1:35 am

The Sisters of the Winter Wood by Rena Rossner (Note: click to view author's website)
Story set in Ukraine and Moldova borderland with fantasy elements. The author drew on her Jewish heritage and faith--a glossary of Hebrew, Yiddish, and Ukrainian words is included.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Postby Vanessa » Tue October 9th, 2018, 11:17 am

I'm just about to start A Suggestion of Scandal by Catherine Kullman, a Regency romance along the same vein as Georgette Heyer.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & The Travelling Bag by Susan Hill
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Mon October 15th, 2018, 9:31 am

I've just started "The Travelling Bag" by Susan Hill, a collection of 5 spooky short stories.
Currently reading "The Silent Companions" by Laura Purcell & The Travelling Bag by Susan Hill

red805
Reader

Postby red805 » Tue October 16th, 2018, 12:58 am

Finished Gone With The Wind at last. I'm trying to finish reading the logo books up at the top of this website! Only one more to go on this view, although I know there are 4 others that rotate in. Hadn't read GWTW since high school. Either I had forgotten a lot, or I wasn't attuned to it then, but as great & memorable as the story is, the racism of the author just smacked me in the face & shadowed the whole reading experience for me. Mitchell was obviously a product of her time & Southern birth, but I didn't realize the movie had toned down the non-dialogue portions so much. You expect the characters to voice racist thoughts, but the narrative actually is more racist than the dialogue. So many times the slaves, or freed slaves were described as apes, children, ignorant, etc. that it just became frustrating. After reading Grant by Ron Chernow, which gave me basically the non-fictionalized opposite view of the post-Civil War time, & learning of the Southern terrorism inflicted on Mitchell's "carpetbaggers & scallawags" & the former slaves, Mitchell's lack of even a pinch of even-handedness was, again, frustrating. In GWTW all Southerners believe in the Cause, the slaves don't want to be freed, & the Yankees are killing, looting rapists. Rhett, Scarlett, Melanie, & Ashley were as vivid characters as I'd remembered, & the atmosphere created by Mitchell was so well-drawn, but at the end of the book I was very ready to be done with them all.

Return to “General Discussion”