Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

what are you reading April 2017?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: To the Bright Edge of the World by Eowyn Ivey & Pushing up Daisies by M C Beaton
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Re: what are you reading April 2017?

Postby Madeleine » Thu April 20th, 2017, 8:32 am

I've just started the fourth book in the St Mary's series "A Trail through Time".
Currently reading "To the Bright Edge of the World" by Eowyn Ivey & "Pushing up Daisies" by M C Beaton

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favorite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Postby Lisa » Mon April 24th, 2017, 2:11 pm

In the past couple of months I read the first three Outlander novels in succession, and now I'm reading Green Darkness by Anya Seton. I normally love Seton but her writing style feels so much slower in comparison to Gabaldon's. Plus I'm not feeling sympathy for any of the characters, so it's rather slow going.

lauradupre
Scribbler
Currently reading: Tudor Bride
Interest in HF: Historical fiction was my guilty pleasure when I was in grad school, getting my Master's in History. Back then, I read everything I could about the American Revolution and early republic. Now, as I'm researching my ancestors, I'm obsessed with French history. I've stuck in the Renaissance era.
Favorite HF book: Minette by Melanie Clegg
Preferred HF: How many can I have? WWI, American Revolution, Renaissance, 18th Century,

Postby lauradupre » Wed April 26th, 2017, 6:54 pm

I'm giving The Fiery Cross the old try. I think I've lost steam for Gabaldon's novels. I admire her for trying something new, but spending at least 10% of the book on a single day, setting up threads for me is too much. I decided to cheat and read the summary in the second volume of the Outlandish Companion, but the summary was about 15 pages.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: To the Bright Edge of the World by Eowyn Ivey & Pushing up Daisies by M C Beaton
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Thu April 27th, 2017, 8:42 am

Just started "The Essex Serpent".
Currently reading "To the Bright Edge of the World" by Eowyn Ivey & "Pushing up Daisies" by M C Beaton

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favorite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Postby Lisa » Thu April 27th, 2017, 10:07 am

lauradupre wrote:I'm giving The Fiery Cross the old try. I think I've lost steam for Gabaldon's novels. I admire her for trying something new, but spending at least 10% of the book on a single day, setting up threads for me is too much. I decided to cheat and read the summary in the second volume of the Outlandish Companion, but the summary was about 15 pages.

Yup, I'm taking a break from Gabaldon for now, I will be back, but despite being easy reads there are so many threads to keep track of!

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Postby princess garnet » Thu April 27th, 2017, 4:51 pm

The Card Catalog published by the Library of Congress, forward by Dr. Carla Hayden (NF)

Return to “General Discussion”