Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

June 2012 Feature of the Month: Historical Thrillers

A monthly discussion on varying themes guided by our members. (Book of the Month discussions through December 2011 can be found in this section too.)
J.D. Oswald
Reader

Post by J.D. Oswald » Fri June 22nd, 2012, 6:54 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]Here are some stand alone thrillers which I have read or have on my TBR pile:

Bleeding Heart Square by Andrew Taylor[/quote]

I enjoyed Bleeding Heart Square, mainly because of the moody 1930s setting and the fascist 'Blackshirts' sub-plot. Strong heroine as well.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri June 22nd, 2012, 7:45 pm

Saw Brave; its not as good as Tangeled, but few movies are. Plus its story could have been ruined by the wrong ending; this one really was perfect. Recommended for everyone, really.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sat June 23rd, 2012, 2:47 pm

[quote=""Mythica""]
One of my favorite mystery series is PB Ryan's Gilded Age series but it's more of a cozy than thriller. I just love the characters - normally, I'm not big on romance but I have a mini-crush on William Hewitt.[/quote]

Still Life with Murder is free for Kindle UK today.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun June 24th, 2012, 11:02 am

I've got Death Comes to Pemberley by P D James on my Kindle. It hasn't got very good reviews on Amazon. I'm sure a few on here have read it.

Has anyone read any of Kenneth Cameron's Denton series? I've read the first one, The Frightened Man. I quite like the sound of Winter at Death's Hotel. Anyone read it?

Also, anyone read A Dark Anatomy by Robin Blake?
Last edited by Vanessa on Sun June 24th, 2012, 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Wed June 27th, 2012, 4:27 am

[quote=""Vanessa""]

Have you not heard of the C J Sansom's Shardlake series, Rockygirl? It's been mentioned on here quite a lot and is very popular.[/quote]

I just looked up information on this series. It looks like something I would enjoy. I put them on my list.

Thanks!
Currently reading Cocaine Blues.

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Wed June 27th, 2012, 4:34 am

No one has mentioned the Caleb Carr books The Alienist and its sequel Angel of Darkness. Two of my faves.
Currently reading Cocaine Blues.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed June 27th, 2012, 10:04 am

I've just had a look at those on Amazon, Rockygirl. They sound good and I've made a note of them.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed June 27th, 2012, 10:40 am

I loved Ellis Peters' Cadfael novels in the long ago. I read The Chatter of the Maidens in the Hawkeneye series and wall-banged it for inaccuracy/silliness and haven't revisted the series since. C.J. Sansom - I love those. Lyndsey Davis' Falco series is excellent.
Dare I say it, but Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond and Niccolo series are multi-layered slow-burn epic historical thrillers.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed June 27th, 2012, 2:52 pm

[quote=""rockygirl""]No one has mentioned the Caleb Carr books The Alienist and its sequel Angel of Darkness. Two of my faves.[/quote]

I agree, both are very good. Read several years ago and they still stick with me. Didn't hurt that they take place in NYC and I loved the historical accuracy of the locations.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed June 27th, 2012, 4:24 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]Here are some others I have on my TBR pile -

Lady Jane Grey series by Deanna Raybourn

Anyone read any of these? What did you think?[/quote]

I read all of the Julia Grey novels this year and really enjoyed them. Looking forward to more of them.

I also enjoy CS Harris' Sebastian St. Cyr mysteries set in Regency England. Those need to be read in order for the character development and revelations related to family secrets.

Return to “Feature of the Month”