Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

May 2012 Feature of the Month: Books Set in Spain

A monthly discussion on varying themes guided by our members. (Book of the Month discussions through December 2011 can be found in this section too.)
Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu May 3rd, 2012, 8:57 am

I've read Driving Over Lemons, Shadow of the Wind and Ines of My Soul. I loved Shadow of the Wind, one of my favourites. I enjoyed the other two.

I have The Last Queen, Cathedral of the Sea, Zorro and The Queen's Sorrow on my TBR pile.

I'll have a look through my books to see if I can see some others which are set in Spain.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu May 3rd, 2012, 9:06 am

I loved Shadow of the Wind too, it's another favourite - not quite sure if it would qualify as HF in the true sense but I enjoyed it and parts of it creeped me out! I have the sort of sequel, Angel's Game, on mount tbr.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu May 3rd, 2012, 9:25 am

Margaret's mention of Lion Feuchtwanger in her post on philosophical HF reminded me that Feuchtwanger also wrote a biographical novel about Goya, called This is the Hour. It has been reprinted with the title Goya
Last edited by annis on Thu May 3rd, 2012, 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Thu May 3rd, 2012, 12:55 pm

[quote=""MLE""]The Last Queen -- C.W. Gortner
The Lions of Al-Rassan -- Guy Gavriel Kay
The Last Jew -- Noah Gordon
The Walking Drum -- Louis L'Amour
The Celestina, Don Quixote, Lazarillo de Tormes, El Cid.[/quote]

I've read all the above, plus the Lofts and Plaidy books.
James A. Michener's "Mexico" is good too if that fits the definition. His "Iberia", however, is not a novel but a travel and reflections book.
Also - "The Last Kabbalist of Lisbon" by Richard Zimler and its follow-ups.
One of my favourite novels of all time is "The Death and Life of Miguel de Cervantes" by Stephen Marlowe. He also wrote two other Spanish novels: "Colossus" (about Goya) and "The Memoirs of Christopher Columbus". I have these but not read them yet.

One I don't recommend is "Soldier of God" by Diane Brenda Bryan. The subject could be fascinating: about a family of Secret Jews who escape Portugal for Mexico. But it's written so poorly, IMHO, and the Jewish elements just did not ring true.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Thu May 3rd, 2012, 2:14 pm

Captain from Castile by Samuel Shellabarger (16thC Spain and expeditions to the New World).

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu May 3rd, 2012, 2:32 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]Captain from Castile by Samuel Shellabarger (16thC Spain and expeditions to the New World).[/quote]
Now that is an embarrassing omission on my part -- it's on my list of top 20 all-time favorites, and I clean forgot it! (Oh for the days when novels could unashamedly root for the conquerors! Now I can't read them without feeling a PC twinge for the hapless indigenous peoples.)
I also forgot a more recent read, Lynn Cullen's novel on Sofonisba Anguissola (had to cut-and-paste to get that name right) The Creation of Eve.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu May 3rd, 2012, 2:37 pm

Another I just remembered, if we are counting time-slip as historical fiction, is The Ghost of Hannah Mendes by Naomi Ragen.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu May 3rd, 2012, 5:55 pm

adam Williams has written a novel set in Andalucia, which alternates between the 11th century late Moorish period and the 1930s, during the Spanish Civil War It's called The Book of the Alchemist

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Thu May 3rd, 2012, 8:41 pm

[quote=""MLE""] How could I forget Crown of Aloes? Read that years ago. And Plaidy's Spain books (smacks self on forehead.) Including The Spanish Bridegroom, about Philip II, although it is called something else now.[/quote]
For a Queen's Love
I wish the title had remained the same for the reissue!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu May 3rd, 2012, 9:17 pm

Guernica by Dave Boling is set during the Spanish Civil War. I really enjoyed this one.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Feature of the Month”