Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

March 2012 Feature of the Month: Trojan War Month

A monthly discussion on varying themes guided by our members. (Book of the Month discussions through December 2011 can be found in this section too.)
Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Fri March 23rd, 2012, 1:54 am

I'm still reading The Aeneid, and The War at Troy- What Homer Didn't Tell.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Sun March 25th, 2012, 4:29 pm

[quote=""Nefret""]I'm still reading The Aeneid, and The War at Troy- What Homer Didn't Tell.[/quote]

How is The War At Troy--What Homer Didn't Tell? It sounds intriguing?

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Mon March 26th, 2012, 3:33 am

[quote=""lauragill""]How is The War At Troy--What Homer Didn't Tell? It sounds intriguing?[/quote]

I may have gotten ahead of myself. The forward was interesting though. :o
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

TiciaRoma
Reader

Post by TiciaRoma » Mon March 26th, 2012, 6:12 pm

I thought I was taking a break from Troy, but in reading Robert Morgan's, Lions of the West, about ten Americans who influenced the Westward Expansion, I read that Sam Houston, one of the ten, was profoundly influenced by Pope's translation of the Illiad and sought to "model himself on Homer's heros and their actions."
Last edited by TiciaRoma on Mon March 26th, 2012, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tish

"If you would tell me the heart of a man, tell me not what he reads but what he rereads." Nobel Laureate Francois Mauriac

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon March 26th, 2012, 11:20 pm

Posted by TriciaRoma
I read that Sam Houston, one of the ten, was profoundly influenced by Pope's translation of the Illiad and sought to "model himself on Homer's heros and their actions."
These days we're just as likely to look at Homer's heroes as being driven by pride, greed and ambition - so a certain irony there. Mind you, I'm not convinced that Homer didn't see them that way as well...

TiciaRoma
Reader

Post by TiciaRoma » Tue March 27th, 2012, 12:06 am

[quote=""annis""]Posted by TriciaRoma

These days we're just as likely to look at Homer's heroes as being driven by pride, greed and ambition - so a certain irony there. Mind you, I'm not convinced that Homer didn't see them that way as well...[/quote]

And many would ascribe those traits to Sam Houston. He certainly had feet of clay. Be careful what you wish for.
Tish

"If you would tell me the heart of a man, tell me not what he reads but what he rereads." Nobel Laureate Francois Mauriac

TiciaRoma
Reader

Post by TiciaRoma » Fri March 30th, 2012, 3:00 am

Just whizzed thru the 30 Days hath September ditty to realize that Ill probably be able to finish Orestes, Young Lion before Trojan War month is over.
Tish

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Fri March 30th, 2012, 5:01 pm

I've been reading in the Bronze Age, not necessarily the Trojan War, but watched the movie The Trojan Women, based on the play by Euripides last night. Starred Katherine Hepburn as Hecuba, Genevieve Bujold as Cassandra, Vanessa Redgrave as Andromache and Irene Papas as Helen. Very anti-war, as anything from a woman's POV tends to be. Loved the dialog, hated the costumes. The women ran around in burka-like robes and the men in micro-mini Greek uniforms. Brian Blessed got to show lots of good-looking leg. Didn't recognize Patrick McGee as Menelaus.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Fri March 30th, 2012, 5:41 pm

Irene Papas starred in a lot of those Greek tragedies if I remember correctly. The Trojan Women was one of my favorites by Euripides back in the day when I read all of his plays. That's been twenty plus years ago. One of these days I'll have to revisit. Probably much more exciting to see them performed, though.

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Fri March 30th, 2012, 6:27 pm

My favorite was Irene Papas in Electra. It's in black and white, and filmed at Mycenae (before it became a World Heritage Site, obviously), and the surrounding Argive countryside. Try to see it in Greek with subtitles. You can find it on Youtube.

Return to “Feature of the Month”