Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Lady of the English by Elizabeth Chadwick

A monthly discussion on varying themes guided by our members. (Book of the Month discussions through December 2011 can be found in this section too.)
EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue September 20th, 2011, 7:29 am

Oh my goodness Michele - thank you so much for telling me! I've just read this while checking my online messages and post first thing this morning and it's already made my day! :D
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

JMJacobsen
Reader

Post by JMJacobsen » Wed September 21st, 2011, 2:06 am

[quote=""EC2""]Oh my goodness Michele - thank you so much for telling me! I've just read this while checking my online messages and post first thing this morning and it's already made my day! :D [/quote]

I remember when I first heard about the Akashic Records and admit I was skeptical at best. Let me just tell you: I am a huge believer now. I don't know how to explain it without sounding a tad off my rocker, but I just feel that *this* was Matilda. So really, I am so pleased you took and time and effort to write this....thank you!

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed September 21st, 2011, 11:07 am

[quote=""JMJacobsen""]I remember when I first heard about the Akashic Records and admit I was skeptical at best. Let me just tell you: I am a huge believer now. I don't know how to explain it without sounding a tad off my rocker, but I just feel that *this* was Matilda. So really, I am so pleased you took and time and effort to write this....thank you![/quote]

I did use a lot of Akashic input in there - obviously with imagination and other research brought in, but with the Akashics to get at the mindsets and emotions especially. I don't know how it works being as I'm not the one doing it. To me it's a bit like driving a car. I might use it to get from A to B, but I've no idea about the gubbins under the hood making it go. I don't know if Alison's sussed it out either, although she's closer to knowing than I am, as it's her wiriing/vibrational system that's making the connections. It's something she was born with and has developed as she's gone on. I've begun putting up the Akashic research for Eleanor online as I think it makes it more convincing to be seen built into a long document rather than occasional snapshots. I'm putting up a section every Wednesday.
http://alienorofaquitaine.blogspot.com/
Les proz e les vassals

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sun October 23rd, 2011, 5:14 am

I have come to this discussion rather late as I wanted to ruminate if you like about Lady of the English and the reasons as to why I enjoyed it so much.

It is the duality of the two women and the subtle nuances between the strong and opinionated Matilda and the more sensitive and compassionate Adeliza. There are not too many authors who can make a really nice woman, interesting without turning them into paragons of virtue which then makes them unbelievable and to be honest, rather boring individuals.

I found that though I loved it when Matilda was the focus I also maintained my interest in Adeliza and I really wanted things to work out well for her.

Matilda and Adeliza are such contrasting personalities and yet they were able to not only remain friends(through difficult circumstances)they also complimented one another. I loved the portrayal of Matilda as this fiercely strong woman(even tho at times I wanted to hit some sense into her! :p )who could not and would not compromise until she was forced too and the gentle and yet equally strong, Adeliza.

The question I have for Elizabeth is-Who proved to be the most difficult woman to write about, Matilda or Adeliza?

As for the Akashic method, I don't really understand it fully but I have noted that EC's books have improved over time whereas with Philippa Gregory her writing has gotten worse and I felt PG's latest effort Lady of the Rivers was very badly written.

But I think I have probably said enough.

Bec :)

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sun October 30th, 2011, 1:07 pm

Cecilia Holland's Hammer for Princes is currently going cheap for the Kindle in the UK -- £2.49.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon October 31st, 2011, 4:22 pm

[quote=""rebecca""]
The question I have for Elizabeth is-Who proved to be the most difficult woman to write about, Matilda or Adeliza?
[/quote]

Sorry - I've been lost under a domestic deluge and have only just seen your question.
Hmmm....both as difficult as one another in their own ways I guess! Getting into the mindset of a politically active and 'stick it to them' woman was sometimes out of my comfort zone, but I had the historical record and the Akashics to guide me. In Matilda's case there was plenty of the former along with commentary on her behaviour, so this was helpful in enabling me to read between the lines.
Adeliza as more of a negotiator with a gentler perception was easier for me to empathise with - but I really had to dig deep to get at her history. There's not much out there, even if the bits that are, often tell us quite a bit about her character. I had to go searching across all disciplines. For e.g. looking at Castle Rising and asking 'What sort of woman would have lived here?' What does it say about her personality? What does it say about the man who built it for them both and what part did it play in their relationship? How did she feel about being barren in her first marriage? Why did she marry William D'Albini? etc etc. It was one long series of questions and a determined hunt down of the answers, then rendered as fiction. :)
Les proz e les vassals

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

November/December 2011: Lady of the English by Elizabeth Chadwick

Post by boswellbaxter » Tue November 1st, 2011, 1:05 pm

Please discuss Lady of the English here. Since there's been a lengthy discussion about this on a Book Buddies thread, I'm transferring that thread here so people can keep on talking instead of starting a new discussion.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Wed November 2nd, 2011, 2:20 am

[quote=""EC2""]Sorry - I've been lost under a domestic deluge and have only just seen your question.
Hmmm....both as difficult as one another in their own ways I guess! Getting into the mindset of a politically active and 'stick it to them' woman was sometimes out of my comfort zone, but I had the historical record and the Akashics to guide me. In Matilda's case there was plenty of the former along with commentary on her behaviour, so this was helpful in enabling me to read between the lines.
Adeliza as more of a negotiator with a gentler perception was easier for me to empathise with - but I really had to dig deep to get at her history. There's not much out there, even if the bits that are, often tell us quite a bit about her character. I had to go searching across all disciplines. For e.g. looking at Castle Rising and asking 'What sort of woman would have lived here?' What does it say about her personality? What does it say about the man who built it for them both and what part did it play in their relationship? How did she feel about being barren in her first marriage? Why did she marry William D'Albini? etc etc. It was one long series of questions and a determined hunt down of the answers, then rendered as fiction. :) [/quote]

Thanks Elizabeth :) I know it is a difficult time for & your family....I have to admit I am having major sleep deprivation lately...but anway....

I love the way you portrayed Matilda as a woman ready to fight for what was rightfully hers in the first place...but she was also flawed in that I don't think she could take advice well, even when it would have benefitted her. I also really liked Adeliza and she had such a tightrope to walk in trying to maintain peace whereever she could.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book and thanks for answering my questions.

Bec :)

Return to “Feature of the Month”