Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Lady of the English by Elizabeth Chadwick

A monthly discussion on varying themes guided by our members. (Book of the Month discussions through December 2011 can be found in this section too.)
EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri August 19th, 2011, 6:17 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]Understood. The comparison is completely unfair, but it is difficult to resign the Matilda you describe to the Maude in SKP's book. It's almost as if they are two completely different people.

I do have a question though. I thought Geoffrey made the deal with Stephen after Maude was already in England not while she was still in Normandy? Wrong?[/quote]

They are two very different people because two very different authors have written them, interpreting the same sources but each in her own way - except for my Akashic Records resource which is unique to me. :)

The deal with Stephen? They did a 3 year deal over Normandy in 1137 whereby Stephen agreed to pay Geoffrey of Anjou 2,000 marks a year to stay away, so that was well before Matilda's coming to England in Autumn 1139. See Professor David Crouch The Reign of King Stephen 1135-1154 Longman Press page 67.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat August 20th, 2011, 7:58 am

Posted by EC
I used the Akashic Records for that beating scene between Matilda and Geoffrey. I did consider not writing it, but then I decided that let the truth be told.
This one of those areas where cultural differences come into play. While we now consider it abhorrent that a man should beat his wife, in the 12th century it was his legal right to do so. Such an act wouldn't be seen in the same light as it is now. Wife-beating was common and even socially acceptable and supported by the Church. In a medieval theological dictionary Nicholas Byard stated, "A man may chastise his wife and beat her for her own correction; for she is of his household, and therefore the lord may chastise his own”.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Sat August 20th, 2011, 8:50 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]Understood. The comparison is completely unfair, but it is difficult to resign the Matilda you describe to the Maude in SKP's book. It's almost as if they are two completely different people.[/quote]

Not had much time for reading this week but so far I don't feel that way, Maude and Matilda both feel very true to the Empress's known historical character to me - headstrong and occasionally lacking in interpersonal skills!

Re: the wife-beating, I thought it was a matter of record (not Akashic only) that Geoffrey was violent with Matilda on occasion, am I wrong?

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat August 20th, 2011, 9:24 pm

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]
Re: the wife-beating, I thought it was a matter of record (not Akashic only) that Geoffrey was violent with Matilda on occasion, am I wrong?[/quote]

The conventional records don't say anything re domestic violence. I'd need to go back and look up what they did say - will have a look when I log on tomorrow. I'm just heading offline now and vegging after our visitors have gone. But I do know there was nothing about violence. However, SKP does have a scene where Matilda is examining her bruises have been beaten offset so to speak. I used the Akashics to find out why they split up - had no idea myself - and what I wrote was what came through, except that I actually toned it down for the novel.
Les proz e les vassals

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Sun August 21st, 2011, 5:38 pm

Ok, I finished this last night and wanted to post my thoughts.

What I loved-
As always, I loved the writing style and the descriptions of everyday life. I also loved how unlike Saints, not every single battle had to be described in minute detail (cheers!). Adeliza was a pleasure to get to know and I was relieved to know she had a very happy 2nd marriage. Curious as to why she didn't pregnant by Henry though. How different things might have been.

What I struggled with-
I want to preface this by saying just because I struggled with some things, doesn't mean I disliked them, because there wasn't anything about the book I disliked. I struggled with the description of Geoffrey and Matilda's violent marriage although I understand that was the norm during that time. Having experienced domestic violence myself, it is difficult to read. I also struggled with the description of Stephen's wife as it varys a tad from SKP's. A final thing is because this book moved much faster than Saint's, it was hard to keep a few events straight in my head. The fact that it moved faster is also a plus, so they even themselves out.

Overall, very well done.
Brenna

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun August 21st, 2011, 8:34 pm

[
QUOTE=Brenna;90414]Ok, I finished this last night and wanted to post my thoughts.
Thank you Brenna, your thoughts are much appreciated. :)

Just a couple of things that might be of interest.:
Curious as to why she didn't pregnant by Henry though. How different things might have been.
Yes indeed. There might have been a whole different dynasty in place. There's no mention in history. We do have that letter from Hildebert of Lavardin replying to Adeliza's upset about her infertility. It's a real puzzle because Henry was still capable - he had at least another bastard child while married to Adeliza. And she obviously wasn't infertile becasue the moment she married William D'Albini she started a production line of babies. The Akashic source showed that Henry didn't much fancy Adeliza - a bit like Henry VIII with Anne of Cleves I think. Henry liked a good handful and Adeliza was too dainty, but even so, you'd have thought he'd have made the effort if he wanted an heir. Still, the proof of the pudding and all that. They didn't have children.
I also struggled with the description of Stephen's wife as it varys a tad from SKP's.
That mostly comes down to us being different people interpreting the same sources in different ways. I didn't go into her in as much depth as Sharon did as my concentration was on the Empress and Adeliza, and I felt Stephen's Queen had had her turn in a couple of novels. However, where I did look at her, I've gone with the sources. The supplementary Akashics saw her as being very fierce in defending Stephen and very strong on his right to rule. In terms of her behaviour though, in that medium she came over as not unlike Imelda Staunton's character Dolores Umbridge in the Harry Potter films, so something of a world away from SKP's Matilda! At least with that utter difference, I wasn't cribbing off SKP - LOL! :D

Thanks again!
Les proz e les vassals

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue September 6th, 2011, 5:38 pm

So I'm reading Helen Castor's She-Wolves and Time and Chance and both Castor and SKP describe Geoffrey using his fists to "tame" Maude. Somehow I had missed that the first time I read Time and Chance (or chose to avoid it given the circumstances at the time). I retract what I said earlier about EC's description. While it was difficult to read, it was obviously something that had occured and certainly should have been included in the book.

Reading all of the "hints" in T&C about what occured in Eleanor's life before Henry, I'm anxious to read EC's triology. Hopefully it will also be published in the U.S??!! Now if we could just get all of her older books published here, life would be grand!
Brenna

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue September 6th, 2011, 7:16 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]So I'm reading Helen Castor's She-Wolves and Time and Chance and both Castor and SKP describe Geoffrey using his fists to "tame" Maude. Somehow I had missed that the first time I read Time and Chance (or chose to avoid it given the circumstances at the time). I retract what I said earlier about EC's description. While it was difficult to read, it was obviously something that had occured and certainly should have been included in the book.

Reading all of the "hints" in T&C about what occured in Eleanor's life before Henry, I'm anxious to read EC's triology. Hopefully it will also be published in the U.S??!! Now if we could just get all of her older books published here, life would be grand![/quote]

Brenna, I don't know where Helen Castor got her information from. I haven't come across any reference to domestic violence in conventional sources. My info came from my 'psychic time-travel' resource rather than the usual channels. I'd be fascinated to know where Helen Castor got her information, because if she has a conventional source for it, it is excellent backup for what I found non-conventionally. I did feel my version had the ring of truth and I felt it was what really happened - I would never have put it in just to make it more juicy for the readers. Bottom line it was done with integrity. I do appreciate that some readers will have had life experiences that sometimes make reading some aspects of historical fiction a bit tense.

Re Eleanor. I am hoping it will be published in the USA - so far there is interest. In the meantime, I have agreed a contract with Sourcebooks for A Place Beyond courage, Shadows and Strongholds and Lords of the White Castle, to be published at the usual 6 months intervals while they wait for Eleanor. :)
Les proz e les vassals

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue September 6th, 2011, 7:19 pm

Brenna, you'll find pretty much all of EC's backlist is available from Book Depository.com, and they aren't particularly expensive:
http://www.bookdepository.com/searchsea ... rch=search
Last edited by annis on Tue September 6th, 2011, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue September 6th, 2011, 9:13 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Brenna, I don't know where Helen Castor got her information from. I haven't come across any reference to domestic violence in conventional sources. My info came from my 'psychic time-travel' resource rather than the usual channels. I'd be fascinated to know where Helen Castor got her information, because if she has a conventional source for it, it is excellent backup for what I found non-conventionally. I did feel my version had the ring of truth and I felt it was what really happened - I would never have put it in just to make it more juicy for the readers. Bottom line it was done with integrity. I do appreciate that some readers will have had life experiences that sometimes make reading some aspects of historical fiction a bit tense.

Re Eleanor. I am hoping it will be published in the USA - so far there is interest. In the meantime, I have agreed a contract with Sourcebooks for A Place Beyond courage, Shadows and Strongholds and Lords of the White Castle, to be published at the usual 6 months intervals while they wait for Eleanor. :) [/quote]

Of course they release the three books I already have :-) . Oh well!

I never meant to infer that you wrote anything to sensationalize the story!! I would never think that. It was just very surprising and unexpected and difficult to think of this strong, amazing woman having to go through this. Castor has a full bibliography in the back of her book. I can scan it for you tomorrow at work if you like and e-mail it. I haven't checked her website to see if there is anything on there.

Annis-for whatever reason, bookdepository doesn't sell EC's books to the U.S, or at least not the majority of them. We went through this last year and TBD said it was a publishing rights issue. The same thing is happening with Ian Mortimer it seems. Weird! Luckily, I've used Abe Books and picked up most of them!
Brenna

Return to “Feature of the Month”