Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

May 2011 Book of the Month: As Meat Loves Salt

A monthly discussion on varying themes guided by our members. (Book of the Month discussions through December 2011 can be found in this section too.)
Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu June 9th, 2011, 11:23 am

No, the characters weren't particularly likeable. I don't think we were supposed to like them, were we? One's a murderer and the other's a bit fickle.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu June 9th, 2011, 1:11 pm

A bit fickle! At least Jacob is consistent and knows what he wants.
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.

Post by Vanessa » Thu June 9th, 2011, 5:11 pm

Yes, Jacob did know what he wanted, so much so that it was quite an obsession. It was a bit like 'Fatal Attraction'! He was the male equivalent of a 'bunny boiler'.

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Thu June 9th, 2011, 6:28 pm

He was the male equivalent of a 'bunny boiler'.
What a great expression - I never heard it before!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Post by Vanessa » Thu June 9th, 2011, 7:17 pm

I think it first started with the film 'Fatal Attraction'where the Glenn Close character boils the daughter's rabbit.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Fri June 10th, 2011, 9:32 am

Finally finished this last night - well it was left very open wasn't it? I'd liked to have known what happened to the "colony" ie if they survived, but I think it was always a recipe for disaster - idealism rarely works does it, certainly not in these books anyway! Human nature and competitiveness always seems to take over in the end.

I thought it was well-written but unfortunately the story just wasn't engaging enough for me. I preferred the first part of the book and found the second half a bit tedious, I just felt like I was waiting for the inevitable ructions at the end when everything started to go wrong; even without the landowner wanting them off, the cracks were starting to appear and it wouldn't have been long before it all went pear-shaped.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Fri June 10th, 2011, 10:21 pm

Incidentally, I've just come across mention of a 1975 movie on the Diggers movement called "Winstanley" that was based on a 1961 novel by David Caute called "Comrade Jacob"...

The plot is not the same (it's set in Cornwall for a start) but the Diggers and 'Jacob'. Just made me wonder whether it inspired McCann in some way...

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Post by Vanessa » Sat June 11th, 2011, 5:26 pm

I have to say I found the parts to do with the 'diggers' quite interesting. It's made me want to read other books sets round this period in time - they seem a little thin on the ground, although I do have Lindsey Davis' Rebels & Traitors which is a bit of a tome!!! A lot of books are set just after the Civil War or perhaps it's just the ones I've read. :rolleyes:

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Sat June 11th, 2011, 6:33 pm

It hasn't made me want to read much more about that period! Although I do have McCann's more recent novel, The Wilding, to read - hope it's better than As Meat....which has gone straight into the charity shop bag!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Post by Vanessa » Sat June 11th, 2011, 6:37 pm

It's totally different, Madeleine, and it's set after the Civil War. It has more of a mystery to it.

Return to “Feature of the Month”