Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Future BOTM Themes

A monthly discussion on varying themes guided by our members. (Book of the Month discussions through December 2011 can be found in this section too.)
Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat March 12th, 2011, 3:35 am

[quote=""Michy""]So would that be the works of Edith Wharton, for example? I really like her writing.[/quote]

From a class syllabis, some examples:

J K Huysmans, Against the Grain [A Rebours] (1884, Penguin edn., trans R. Baldick)

Robert Louis Stevenson, The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (1886, various edns.)

H. Rider Haggard, She (1887, Oxford World’s Classics)

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest (1895), The Picture of Dorian Gray (1891), in The Complete Works of Oscar Wilde, ed. M. Holland (Collins - NB. currently widely remaindered)

Charlotte Perkins Gilman, The Yellow Wallpaper (1892, Virago - also in Norton Anthology of American Literature and other collections)

H. G. Wells, The Time Machine (1895, various edns.)

Bram Stoker, Dracula (1897, various edns.)

Henry James, The Turn of the Screw (1898, various edns. and collections)

Kate Chopin, The Awakening (1899, Virago/Penguin, Norton American Anthology
I don't consider any of these HF since the author were writing about their own time, but I suppose there is a way to make an interesting discussion about any of these books, and compare them with books about the same time period but written as HF.
Last edited by Ash on Sat March 12th, 2011, 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sat March 12th, 2011, 10:50 pm

YA's a great idea but I'll have to pass on that one. Now that I'm finished with mine I can talk a bit more, but after reading and reviewing 40 excerpts for Amazon's Breakthrough Novel Award of which 90% were YA and first person at that I think I will pass away from old age before I go year YA again
Oh, Ash - you should really read one of the super-excellent YA novels as a corrective to this experience before giving up on the genre. Kind of like getting back on the horse after it throws you, so you can show it who's master. I can highly recommend Catherine Jinks's Pagan's Crusade or Rebecca Barnhouse's The Book of the Maidservant, and others here will undoubtedly be able to suggest others. In fact, maybe this is a good reason to do a YA BOM - with the proviso that people should nominate novels they know to be of supremely high quality!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun March 13th, 2011, 3:27 am

[quote=""Margaret""]Oh, Ash - you should really read one of the super-excellent YA novels as a corrective to this experience before giving up on the genre. Kind of like getting back on the horse after it throws you, so you can show it who's master. I can highly recommend Catherine Jinks's Pagan's Crusade or Rebecca Barnhouse's The Book of the Maidservant, and others here will undoubtedly be able to suggest others. In fact, maybe this is a good reason to do a YA BOM - with the proviso that people should nominate novels they know to be of supremely high quality![/quote]

Huh? Not only was that not me who posted, but that is not my opinion at all! I have read and enjoyed many YA books. Please check the poster name when you post quotes. Thanks :)

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sun March 13th, 2011, 7:47 am

Huh? Not only was that not me who posted, but that is not my opinion at all!
Oops - so sorry, Ash. It was Misfit. I thought I had checked, but I was obviously a bit addled when I made that post.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun March 13th, 2011, 12:34 pm

[quote=""Margaret""]Oops - so sorry, Ash. It was Misfit. I thought I had checked, but I was obviously a bit addled when I made that post.[/quote]

Glad to know I am not the only addled person around here ;)

I know there's lots of good YA out there, but I will need a breather after what I just went through.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun March 13th, 2011, 2:24 pm

[quote=""Margaret""]Oops - so sorry, Ash. It was Misfit. I thought I had checked, but I was obviously a bit addled when I made that post.[/quote]

De nada ('not a problem' in Spanish) :)

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun March 13th, 2011, 7:38 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I thing there was a winner or two, but for the most part very mediocre - bad. No vampires either, at least in my batch. Go to the Vine forums and read the ABNA 2011 thread, especially the last of the posts. It seems everyone got tons of YA.[/quote]

A lot of people (especially the younger set) at NaNo were talking about submitting to ABNA. I wonder how many did it with no editing.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun March 13th, 2011, 8:47 pm

Wow. My YA must be a gem then. :p ;)
Just kidding my could suck as well. Who knows! Its not first person though...
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun March 13th, 2011, 9:27 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]A lot of people (especially the younger set) at NaNo were talking about submitting to ABNA. I wonder how many did it with no editing.[/quote]

Sorry, but not allowed to talk specifics. There were some rather unusual ones though...
Wow. My YA must be a gem then.
Just kidding my could suck as well. Who knows! Its not first person though...
That's good to hear. First person generally doesn't work well for me ;)

There were a few out of my 40 that were really promising knock your socks off type of books and I look forward to following them. I think by the time the next round of eliminations are over I can speak more about them. I think.
Last edited by Misfit on Sun March 13th, 2011, 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon March 14th, 2011, 12:17 am

Not asking for info, Misfit. Just wondering aloud as it were.

Return to “Feature of the Month”