Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

August 2010 BOTM Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati

A monthly discussion on varying themes guided by our members. (Book of the Month discussions through December 2011 can be found in this section too.)
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

August 2010 BOTM Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati

Post by Misfit » Sun August 1st, 2010, 1:55 pm

Please discuss here.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Sun August 1st, 2010, 3:56 pm

I just started Chapter 6. For those of you familar with the TV Show Dr. Quinn Medicince Woman will see quite a few similarities in the storyline. So far so good. I do enjoy a strong woman character that can put men in their places. ;)
Brenna

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun August 1st, 2010, 5:05 pm

I read this at the beginning of the year and I thought it was wonderful. Outlander meets the Last of the Mohicans. There's a strong love story but it's so much more than that.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon August 2nd, 2010, 10:36 am

Yes it's already reminding me of Outlander, although I think I'll like Elizabeth more than Claire (who I found quite irritating and a bit smug) - and Nathaniel is swoonsome!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon August 2nd, 2010, 1:25 pm

It seems as if I broke my ankle, so I have had a lot of time to read! I'm almost halfway through and boy oh boy. I'd love to see how Elizabeth and Nathaniel get themselves out of the pickle they are on.
Brenna

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed August 4th, 2010, 12:57 am

I'm up to chapter 7, although I just got my copy last night. I love a book that can grab me from the get-go!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed August 4th, 2010, 10:05 am

I'm up to Chapter 6, would have read a bit more last night but had a splitting headache so didn't. Really liking Elizabeth's spirit, she's feisty (a word I normally loathe) and assertive without being a pain in the neck.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Wed August 4th, 2010, 2:15 pm

I am just about done, 4 Chapters to go. It is my first day back at work after the ankle incident and it is killing me that the book is in my bag and I can't just finish it! I have to say, this book hooked me from the get go. The only complaints I have are Nathaniel can be a bit irritating at times and what seems like constant sex scenes are not necessary(at least after the 2nd half of the book). None of these complaints will deter me from finishing this series in short order though! I know someone said earlier that they enjoyed this book more than Outlander and I have to agree but for different reasons.
Brenna

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri August 6th, 2010, 8:54 pm

Well, I just ran into mention of Jamie and Claire. I guess I should have seen that coming, with all the stuff on the jacket --"Last of the Mohicans meets Outlander" plus a blurb from Diana Gabaldon. But I was a little surprised.

On LOTM,I have been trying to figure out if Donati is using the book or the movie as a springboard, and cagily staying between the two by not mentioning how Hawkeye and Cora got together (He was Cora's love interest in the movie, whereas Uncas was in the book. Since Uncas died in both instances, it could have been worked out.) But a few more references has made me settle on the movie. Very handy, to have all those images already set in the reader's mind.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri August 6th, 2010, 10:20 pm

It's way too long ago since I read this for me to comment beyond the fact that I remember fully enjoying it and seeing Daniel Day Lewis in my mind's eye for Nathaniel! I bought this one for my mum as a stocking filler for Xmas and she loved it too. I've read the second in the series and really enjoyed that as well. the 3rd book, Lake in the Clouds is on my TBR waiting its moment.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “Feature of the Month”