Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

April 2010: Paths of Exile by Carla Nayland

A monthly discussion on varying themes guided by our members. (Book of the Month discussions through December 2011 can be found in this section too.)
annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed April 21st, 2010, 8:16 pm

I'm hoping that Severa makes a miraculous reappearance, but I don't know--. Actually, one of my favourite characters is the awful Aethelind. She's not quite the ditzy blonde airhead you first see her as, but ruthlessly pragmatic. I love the scene where she makes the best of being captured by the enemy and decides her captor Hereward will do perfectly well as a protector. The way she treats his warriors like naughty little boys and chivvies them into cleaning up and sitting down for the civilized meal with which she intends to impress their leader is priceless.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri April 23rd, 2010, 2:07 pm

Aethelind is almost a medieval Sharpay Evans.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri April 23rd, 2010, 6:22 pm

Lol! I had to look that one up, LoveHistory - I must be the only person in the world who's never seen High School Musical :)

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Sat April 24th, 2010, 3:35 pm

[quote=""annis""]Lol! I had to look that one up, LoveHistory - I must be the only person in the world who's never seen High School Musical :) [/quote]

No, there are at least two of us. I had to look it up too :-) If Aethelind, or any other character, engages a reader's attention enough to remind them of someone else, I'm very pleased and I take it as a compliment (though Aethelind might be less than flattered at the comparison...).
Yes, Aethelind is manipulative and very good at getting her own way, especially where men are concerned. In her defence, I'll say that her safety and maybe even her survival depend on her ability to manouevre Hereward into doing what she wants. Rhonwen, who wasn't lucky enough to get the same opportunity, has a much worse time after the battle. Aethelind is busy using every means at her disposal to make sure she lands on her feet - Annis's description 'ruthlessly pragmatic' is a good one.
Last edited by Carla on Sat April 24th, 2010, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon April 26th, 2010, 9:27 pm

I've just finished this and I very much enjoyed it. I found it a fascinating and absorbing read. I also found it interesting as I live near where a lot of it is set, so I've been trying to picture as I've been reading where the characters are as they go on their journey! I live within Calcacaster in a small hamlet just south of Eboracum, although I originally come from Loidis. :D

I'm not sure what to think about Severa. It would be nice to think that she will make a reappearance in a sequel, just so Eadwine has a little bit of happiness in his life which I think he deserves! But there was a scream, wasn't there? So, I don't know what to think.

There is obviously a lot more story to tell with regards to Eadwine, so will look forward to the sequel!

Thanks, Carla, I think you did a great job.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Wed April 28th, 2010, 7:13 pm

Glad to hear you enjoyed it, Vanessa! Calcacaster and Eboracum have changed a lot since Eadwine's day, though he'd probably recognise the route of the Roman road, the Multangular Tower and that column from the Roman principia that now stands in front of York Minster (he would have known it in situ, if I'm correct in my surmise that the principia was still standing and in use).

If you ever get up to the North York Moors, the cliff path between Whitby and Robin Hood's Bay is much as I describe in the novel, and I could even direct you to the exact location of the headland and ravine where I set the scene of the fight with Beortred :-) It's a beautiful walk on a fine day, highly recommended.
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.

Post by Vanessa » Wed April 28th, 2010, 8:50 pm

I love Whitby and Robin Hood's Bay. We often visit for a day or two. I also have lovely memories of holidays there as a child. Last time we were there we went for a walk up to Whitby Abbey at midnight and that was quite spooky, even though there's a youth hostel next door to it! I haven't walked the cliff path but will look out for it next time we go. We usually end up walking on the beach between Sandsend and Whitby as it's one of the only beaches you can walk dogs - well, at least in winter time!

Yes, I'm sure both Taddy and York have changed a lot. Mind you, one of the big brewery owners who owns most of Tad will not change anything! He's one of those people who will buy a converted barn and then change it back to a barn. LOL. So really Taddy hasn't moved on a lot! There are quite a few references to Calcaria - Calcaria Chemist, Calcaria Vets, etc. York, however, is a beautiful city.
Last edited by Vanessa on Wed April 28th, 2010, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Fri April 30th, 2010, 6:56 pm

Whitby Abbey at midnight must have been very atmospheric! Was there a full moon to cast eerie shadows among the gaunt ruins, just to complete the picture?

Sandsend is a lovely beach. I didn't realise it was one of the few where you could walk dogs.

York owes quite a bit of its beauty to Calcaria/Tadcaster, if I remember rightly - wasn't it the source for most of the Roman and medieval limestone used to build the city, including the Minster?

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Post by Vanessa » Fri April 30th, 2010, 10:49 pm

I can't remember if there was a full moon, but I remember it being very dark! Some chap whizzed by on a scooter (the non-motorised variety - it was the sort where you have to push with your foot), which we thought was very funny and a novel way to go home from the pub!

It wasn't actually Sandsend but between Sandsend and Whitby. It's all one beach really but it's the bit inbetween. There's a path you can walk down to the beach from the road which is quite wiggly and hilly, sort of near the golf club. I don't think you can walk on actual Sandsend beach with a dog.

I don't know about the limestone but you're most likely right. There is a quarry. It has three breweries, though, which is a lot of breweries for a small market town!

Return to “Feature of the Month”