Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

February 2010: The Book of Fires by Jane Borodale

A monthly discussion on varying themes guided by our members. (Book of the Month discussions through December 2011 can be found in this section too.)
boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

February 2010: The Book of Fires by Jane Borodale

Post by boswellbaxter » Mon February 1st, 2010, 2:57 pm

Discuss The Book of Fires here.

<iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=histoficti ... FFFF&f=ifr" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon February 1st, 2010, 6:16 pm

Me first! Me first! :D

I found this quite a slow read but I thoroughly enjoyed it neverless. It's beautifully and poetically written, a compelling and atmospheric story.

However, even though it's set in 1753, I did get Victorian vibes. Forever Amber meets The Crimson Petal and the White!

I think Agnes was very lucky that her pregnancy wasn't found out sooner, but I suppose their dresses covered a multitude of sins. I did enjoy her voice for the majority of the book. At times she did come over a little too naive. It was quite a nice little plot, though, and I thought the ending had a good twist in the tale.

I found the parts about fireworks quite interesting even though some of it went over my head, ie the technical terms. My copy was an uncorrected proof and apparently the published version has pictures of the fireworks, which I would be interested in seeing. I think I shall have to go into a bookshop and sneak a peak!

I prefer US cover to the UK one. I think it says more about what is inside the book. With the UK jacket, the girl on the front could be mixing paints. I don't know what anyone else thinks?
bookoffires.jpg
UK cover

Overall, an excellent read.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed February 3rd, 2010, 1:14 pm

I've picked this up twice now and it hasn't grabbed me yet. I have the day off so perhaps I can give it another shot. I feel guilty holding on to a book when others are waiting their turn....
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Wed February 3rd, 2010, 4:05 pm

I gave this one three stars on my blog. She's a good writer, but I too thought that Our Heroine was a little too naieve (sp), especially about her pregnancy and Lettice Talbot's profession; and I didn't totally buy her voice (she's supposed to be an uneducated teenager from the country, but her voice isn't what you might expect). Still, I think the twist in the end was great.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed February 3rd, 2010, 7:55 pm

I was impressed by "The Book of Fires", mostly because of its striking use of language. It wasn't a surprise to discover that Borodale is an artist--I think that the artist’s eye shows clearly in her imagery and composition.

Some reviews have been a bit negative, often because they found Agnes rather passive and emotionally distant. I felt that Jane Borodale actually did quite a good job of creating a credible internal voice, and capturing Agnes' nature, which is that of someone who does tend to stand back and observe things. Life as part of a large rural family living on the very edge of subsistence naturally leads to a stoic approach to life. Siblings die, some winters you go hungry, there's always work to be done and as an older daughter Agnes is also expected to look afterr the younger children - all these things are part of a hard life and must be endured. It's not a lifestyle that lends itself to displays of emotion and self-indulgent drama-- I think Agnes' responses quite logical when seen in this light.

My UK edition didn’t have any pictures of fireworks (I feel cheated!) There are contemporary pictures of fireworks around, though, like this one of a display held on the River Thames in 1749 to mark the 1748 signing of the Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle, for which Handel wrote his Music For The Royal Fireworks. I hadn’t realized that producing coloured fireworks presented such a scientific condundrum, one which wasn't solved until relatively recently.

It was sudden overcrowding in London as rural workers were driven to the city in search of work which led to the shocking conditions associated with the Victorian period.

There's an entertaining article on the hazards of daily life in 18th century London here:
http://forums.canadiancontent.net/histo ... daily.html
Last edited by annis on Wed February 3rd, 2010, 8:05 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.

Post by Vanessa » Wed February 3rd, 2010, 8:19 pm

Lovely picture, Annis. I found the whole fireworks thing quite fascinating - how they were all white and then they started to experiment with colour, but, of course, Mr Blacklock died before he could do too much.

I think you're right about Agnes - they grew up so very quickly in those days due to all the hardships and they also died a lot younger, too.

I wonder where I got the idea that there were picture of fireworks in the book. I'm sure I read it somewhere. Was your copy a paperback or a hardback, Annis?

I didn't know the author was an artist - that does explain some of the language and descriptions.
Last edited by Vanessa on Wed February 3rd, 2010, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu February 4th, 2010, 5:57 am

The copy I read was from the library and was a HarperPress trade paperback.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Post by Vanessa » Thu February 4th, 2010, 8:22 am

Perhaps the hardback has the pictures. I shall definitely have to sneak a peak next time I'm in a bookshop.

ellenjane
Reader

Post by ellenjane » Tue February 16th, 2010, 5:30 pm

This took a while to catch my attention, but I found myself turning the pages pretty fast after about the halfway point. I had to make a point of slowing myself down because the language was so rich.

I'll have to look at my library binding (US) - I remember there being drawings of fireworks on the pages that had the section headings, but I don't remember them being varied.

ETA: The pictures of fireworks between the sections were all the same - just an ordinary-looking firework. No color.
Last edited by ellenjane on Wed February 17th, 2010, 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Wed February 17th, 2010, 3:51 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]
I thoroughly enjoyed it neverless. It's beautifully and poetically written, a compelling and atmospheric story.
[/quote]

I read this book last year and couldn't agree more. "Atmospheric" describes it perfectly.

Return to “Feature of the Month”