Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

February 2009: Needle in the Blood by Sarah Bower

A monthly discussion on varying themes guided by our members. (Book of the Month discussions through December 2011 can be found in this section too.)
chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Thu February 19th, 2009, 7:35 pm

Hi Annis....What a terrific site.....Can you imagine living in 12th Century and seeing the Cathedral''s North wall Rose windows....It knocks me out....It had to be magical for experience them.....We have a few stain glass pieces in our home and we really enjoy them......Are you still involved with the Amazon HF forum?.....I lurk once in awhile....nothing moves me enough to participate anymore......
Last edited by chuck on Thu February 19th, 2009, 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Fri February 20th, 2009, 6:10 pm

I'm sorry to have to say this but at around page 200 I had to put TNITB aside for a while. I'm not keen on the way of writing at all and can't seem to get used to it, nor to the writing in the present tense.
I have a feeling as if there are too many words and it's getting on my nerves ! I'm very disappointed because I really love the Bayeux tapestry. I may pick it up later, I certainly hope to finish it some time.

What I don't understand is that I often read that the Bayeux tapestry has a lot to do with Matilda, but (unless it comes in later) I haven't read anything about in this book.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri February 20th, 2009, 6:21 pm

[quote=""Carine""]I'm sorry to have to say this but at around page 200 I had to put TNITB aside for a while. I'm not keen on the way of writing at all and can't seem to get used to it, nor to the writing in the present tense.
I have a feeling as if there are too many words and it's getting on my nerves ! I'm very disappointed because I really love the Bayeux tapestry. I may pick it up later, I certainly hope to finish it some time.

What I don't understand is that I often read that the Bayeux tapestry has a lot to do with Matilda, but (unless it comes in later) I haven't read anything about in this book.[/quote]

I lent this book to a close friend who is an Anglo Saxon textile expert. She found the same as you and told me that by page 200 she was losing the will to live and had to give it up. When I asked her why, she said that she reads books for story and that if she wants poetry, she'll read a poetry book. She just found it too dense and not involving in the least. It didn' t carry her away. I didn't feel the same way, but nevertheless I completely understood where she was coming from because it did take me ages and in small doses.
I think that there is quite an audience who will think similarly to be honest - and that's not to diss the book, just that I can see and understand that particular point of view.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Fri February 20th, 2009, 7:15 pm

What an interesting read this thread has been! I love reading about different people's takes on the same novel. Personally, I think I'll pass though! I'm just not really in the mood for a read I sort of have to work at and from what I gather from all the posts that's what you have to do with this novel.
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun February 22nd, 2009, 2:10 am

Hi Chuck-- no, I don't post much on the Amazon HFF these days. It got so that it was a bit like Groundhog Day -- certain threads come up, people answer them, then a few weeks later another person posts a thread on the same subject and so on ad infinitum. No=one ever seems to check if teh subject's already been covered - though AHFF is partly to blame by not providing a "search" function on their forum.

Aeflgyva kept bothering me- I knew that I'd read another interpretation of the story behind the mysterious Bayeaux Tapestry figure. Then it came back to me- Ray Bryant's "Warriors of the Dragon Gold". It even has the picture of the BT's Aelfgyva on the cover.

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Sun February 22nd, 2009, 10:46 am

[quote=""annis""]
Aeflgyva kept bothering me- I knew that I'd read another interpretation of the story behind the mysterious Bayeaux Tapestry figure. Then it came back to me- Ray Bryant's "Warriors of the Dragon Gold". It even has the picture of the BT's Aelfgyva on the cover.[/quote]

I wondered if it was the same Aelgifu! As I haven't read Needle in the Blood (yet) I wasn't sure. I read end enjoyed Warriors of the Dragon Gold a while ago. I might cross-post the review here in case anyone's interested.
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Sun February 22nd, 2009, 11:28 am

[quote=""Carla""]I wondered if it was the same Aelgifu! As I haven't read Needle in the Blood (yet) I wasn't sure. I read end enjoyed Warriors of the Dragon Gold a while ago. I might cross-post the review here in case anyone's interested.[/quote]

Oh yes Carla, please do, I'd be very interested.

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Sun February 22nd, 2009, 12:16 pm

OK, review posted in the reviews section under 'B' for Bryant.
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

chuck
Bibliophile

Ray Bryant

Post by chuck » Sun February 22nd, 2009, 5:03 pm

[quote=""annis""]Hi Chuck-- no, I don't post much on the Amazon HFF these days. It got so that it was a bit like Groundhog Day -- certain threads come up, people answer them, then a few weeks later another person posts a thread on the same subject and so on ad infinitum. No=one ever seems to check if teh subject's already been covered - though AHFF is partly to blame by not providing a "search" function on their forum.

Aeflgyva kept bothering me- I knew that I'd read another interpretation of the story behind the mysterious Bayeaux Tapestry figure. Then it came back to me- Ray Bryant's "Warriors of the Dragon Gold". It even has the picture of the BT's Aelfgyva on the cover.[/quote]

Thanks for the terrific mention...I will definitely have to chase that one down....I'll start with my Library....I love the period it covers and the cast of characters....I still can't put my finger on it "The Needle in the Blood" I cant imagine Odo in a relationship even if it was dysfunctional one ....I may pick it up again.....The Bayeux Tapestry is very interesting subject.....BTW....I posted on films thread the BBC's "Dr. Bell and Mr. Doyle The Dark beginnings Of Sherlock Holmes" Wow...I was so impressed with every aspect of the film; it was so Victorian and dark (gaslight)....check it out..
Last edited by chuck on Sun February 22nd, 2009, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon February 23rd, 2009, 6:46 am

There's another Bayeaux Tapestry themed novel about as well, though it may be OP now. It's by Peter Benson, and is called "Odo's Hanging" (pub. 1994)
"Centred on the making of the Bayeux Tapestry, the novel is concerned with the politics, religion and events of William the Conqueror's reign."
The BT image of Aelfgyva and the cleric is on the cover of this one as well!

I saw "Dr Bell & Mr Doyle" a while ago on TV-- it is very good - lots of atmosphere and suspense.
Last edited by annis on Mon February 23rd, 2009, 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Feature of the Month”