Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

April 2011 Book of the Month: Poll

What Will Be Our April 2011 Book of the Month?

Poll ended at Mon February 28th, 2011, 2:09 pm

Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell
71%
Parrot and Olivier in America by Peter Carey
7%
Land of the Painted Caves by Jean Auel
7%
The Red Garden by Alice Hoffman
14%

Total votes: 14

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu March 10th, 2011, 9:34 am

You're not going to be persuaded to read it, are you, Divia? :D I'm in two minds whether to download a copy onto my Kindle as I find I read faster with it!!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu March 10th, 2011, 11:07 am

[quote=""Vanessa""]You're not going to be persuaded to read it, are you, Divia? :D I'm in two minds whether to download a copy onto my Kindle as I find I read faster with it!![/quote]

You are correct. ;)
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Thu March 10th, 2011, 1:42 pm

Flowery? No, Victorian poetry is flowery. GWTW is, well, a story with memorable characters, incredibly written scenes, and a view that is very much of its time (aka, not balanced, with no 20/20 hindsight) It will be difficult I think not to reread this without the movie images flashing in my head, but I'll give it a good try.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu March 10th, 2011, 3:14 pm

Divia -- I'm puzzled how you could love the movie but find the book flowery, when the movie is based on the book - ? But, oh well, if you don't want to read it that's your choice. :)

[quote=""Ash""] It will be difficult I think not to reread this without the movie images flashing in my head, but I'll give it a good try.[/quote] That is one reason why I'm glad I've never seen the movie (except for little bits and pieces, and lots of the photos, of course). :)
Last edited by Michy on Thu March 10th, 2011, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu March 10th, 2011, 9:40 pm

Ash, I'm not doubting its a good book. :rolleyes:

My god, I think I stepped on some toes. Holy shit. Obviously this book has a lot of diehard fans, but that doesnt mean I have to love it.

Its a romantic version of what happened. And I know that. I'm really not into that sort of book. And, the page count is too much. I can't read LARGE books. Here's a deep dark secret about me. I read poorly. I have trouble doing it. I have a masters, I am a librarian, but reading takes a lot of time. I don't waste my time on those type of books. Anything over 400 pages is a problem.
Last edited by Divia on Thu March 10th, 2011, 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Fri March 11th, 2011, 1:43 am

You didn't step on my toes, and I doubt that you stepped on anyone else's, either. There are books other people love that I won't read, so I understand. No one's trying to make you love GWTW; to each his/her own. Happy reading.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri March 11th, 2011, 3:32 am

My toes are fine. :)

Return to “Poll”