Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Tudor Wars in Ireland 1534 - 1603

gallowglass1580
Scribbler
Currently reading: The Scarlet Lion
Interest in HF: Irish History.
Irish and European historical fiction set between 1500 and 1750
Favourite HF book: Shogun
Preferred HF: Irish history and also English Tudor history

The Tudor Wars in Ireland 1534 - 1603

Post by gallowglass1580 » Sat October 24th, 2020, 2:59 pm

I'm currently writing a novel set in Ireland during the 16th Century, much of it is historical fact (interspersed with some fiction for those bits that my research failed to reveal further information).
So my question is, has anyone come across historical fiction books set in Ireland in the 16th century and if so what did they think of them?

Genuinely interested to hear your opinions,

Kind Regards,

Gearóid

Ciross

Re: The Tudor Wars in Ireland 1534 - 1603

Post by Ciross » Sat October 24th, 2020, 5:55 pm

The books that are coming to mind tend to center around Grace O'Malley, and, unfortunately, the quality tends to vary.

Not sure if your question is aimed so much at getting an idea for how common it already is on the market or if there's any general interest in it at all. If the former, though, as much as there already is by-way of Tudor/Elizabethan Era historical fiction, I think there's still a lot that remains to be explored, especially regarding your subject and setting.

red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Re: The Tudor Wars in Ireland 1534 - 1603

Post by red805 » Sat October 24th, 2020, 11:53 pm

The only historical fiction books set in Ireland that I can think of were Edward Rutherfurd's books.

Return to “By Era”