Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

the falcon series by mark ramsay

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

the falcon series by mark ramsay

Post by Kveto from Prague » Mon September 27th, 2010, 9:47 pm

found some info on this series about a returning crusader. written by john maddox roberts under a pen name.

anybody tried these. they look interesting.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/r/joh ... trikes.htm

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon September 27th, 2010, 11:16 pm

How did you come up with these, Keny? I've read some of his SPQR series, but haven't come across these Crusader ones, though I have a feeling he did a series of Conan novels at one stage.

Edited to say I remember reading one of his alt history books years ago which was quite interesting- Vikings and Saxons in North America- it was called King of the Wood
Last edited by annis on Mon September 27th, 2010, 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Tue September 28th, 2010, 3:22 pm

wow, i found a series annis hadnt heard about :-)

actually, i heard about this series from maddox himself. he frequents another message board that i visit occasionally. the only review of the falcon series i could find is here.

http://www.swordandsorcery.org/swordsmen-falcon1.asp

although Roberts usually seems to write fantasy, sci-fi or historical mysteries the falcon series looks like straightforward HF action. actually it sounds like an interesting concept. a crusader betrayed in the holy land returns to france to get revenge on his betrayers.

unfortunately, the only copies ive found are in the US which puts it out of my price range for shipping. ill keep looking on the UK sites. it looks like a nice read for when i want to buckle my swash.

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Fri February 17th, 2012, 11:14 pm

Ive read the first three of the series and its very good. the third being the best so far.

The story is good if a bit sensational. Trying to avenge his dead father, the protagonist is crossing France. Although his name Draco Falcon is a bit much. And he's one of those characters who is a little too good at everything to be believed.

Where this series is great is in the descriptions of combat. Mark Ramsay (John Maddox Roberts) has a number of period weapons and its quite clear that he knows how to use them. When reading his descriptions of fighting, you say to yourself "This guy knows what its like to swing a sword." He manages to describe exactly what is going on in combat while not slowing down the narrative. Its a level of descriptive experience that you just can't fake.

The third book focuses on tournaments and the student riots in Paris. Lots of fun details there.

Fun reads all.

Return to “By Era”