Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Spanish colonial california

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Spanish colonial california

Post by Kveto from Prague » Wed April 14th, 2010, 5:49 pm

Ive always been attacted to places/societies which no longer exist.

Does anyone know of any HF literature set in old California, when itwas a spanish colony before it was taken by America? the only stories i can think of ever set in this time and place were the old Zorro pulp stories (the curse of capistrano) which was in the pueblo of los angles

Anybody know of anything else set in that time/place?

cheers

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed April 14th, 2010, 6:40 pm

Kenny, I love books set in old California but most of them I've found will start during the days of Mexican government but finish up with Statehood and beyond. They also might be more chick bookish than you care for but I'll throw them in the ring anyway.
  • Jubilee Trail Gwen Bristow
  • Calico Palace Gwen Bristow
  • The Proud Breed Celeste de Blasis (the heroine in this is from an old Californio family and a good part takes place well before statehood).
  • Cecelia Holland wrote one called The Bear Flag that might suit - but I couldn't finish it.
There's more, I'll pop back when they come to mind.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Wed April 14th, 2010, 6:54 pm

I read Isabelle Allende's "Zorro" 2005....A retelling of the legend... well done....Check out HFO's Margaret HF reviews website.....

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed April 14th, 2010, 8:02 pm

Scott O'Dell (1947) "Hill of the Hawk", set in California 1846.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed April 14th, 2010, 8:34 pm

Ramona is a classic early-California story, but it's been so long since I read it I can't remember the plot!
Island of the Blue Dolphins is YA, but beautifully written, about early California natives.
And I second Chuck's recommendation of Zorro by Allende. Lots of fun.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Thu April 15th, 2010, 12:48 am

Its probably later than you want, but Steinbeck's Tortilla Flat is a wonderful portrait of a certain time and community. The sort of sequel Sweet Thursday was really rather depressing, and not as well written.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu April 15th, 2010, 2:27 am

Another couple of oldies:

Virginia Stiver
"Mistress of Monterey", (1933)a novel set in the 1780s, and centred on Eulalia Fages, and her stormy marriage to governor Pedro Fages. Also deals with the prickly relationship between Pedro Fages and Fray Junípero Serra.

Anne Fisher (1940)
"Cathedral of the Sun", fictionalised story of Isabella Meadows, daughter of a Carmel Mission Indian and a British sailor.Isabella was one of five children born to James Meadows who in 1842 married Loreta (or Loretta) Onesimo de Peralta, widow of Domingo Peralta, and a descendant of local Mission Indians.
Last edited by annis on Thu April 15th, 2010, 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Little
Reader

Post by Chris Little » Thu April 15th, 2010, 3:38 pm

Walter Nordhoff "Journey of the Flame"

http://www.amazon.com/Journey-Flame-Wal ... 723&sr=1-1

After buying and reading some, then skimming more, I'll be donating "Flame" to the local recycle store. It's mostly set in Baja and is an old man's rambling of the days when he was 10-12 years old and too much larger than life ... it did provide me with info about the 3 Californias era, but ... I couldn't get involved with the character, called "Flame" because he had red hair inherited from an Irish sailor.
Last edited by Chris Little on Thu May 6th, 2010, 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: adding update

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu April 15th, 2010, 7:59 pm

That sounds like a good one, Chris. Interesting that most of these novels are older books. It must be a time and place due for attention from modern authors of HF.
Last edited by annis on Thu April 15th, 2010, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu April 15th, 2010, 8:30 pm

The history is fascinating. I love travelling through the gold country and the old towns. Lots of good info here, http://www.historichwy49.com/home.html
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “By Era”