Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

hernando Cortez

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

hernando Cortez

Postby Kveto from Prague » Tue February 2nd, 2010, 5:26 pm

I recently watched a nice "heroes and villains" documentary on cortez and was pleasantly surprised. few historical figures have been painted in as black of colours as cortez. a man whose name is another word for war and excess. i was expecting a cartoonish villain but the documentary was much fairer to him than id expected.

It presents corez as greedy and desperate but also with a legitimate desire to convert the Aztecs and preserve their city. his troops were zealots but it helps show them though theirs 16th century eyes. These were religous men who were confronted with human sacrifice and possible cannibalism. their reaction was what you would expect. they show corez as extremely bitter and depressed at what the war came. Whether true or not, the documentary helps add a further layer to cortez's personality.

Moctezuma is similarly given more dimensions than id ever heard. hes often portrayed as a foolish primative but the documentary is fast to point out that he was the successful ruler of one of the largest empires in the world at that time.

Overall, a fairer look at this tragic period than most.

What im getting at is, does anyone know of historical fiction based around the conquest of mexico?

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Postby donroc » Tue February 2nd, 2010, 7:00 pm

Captain From Castile by Samuel Shellabarger.
User signature picture

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6OtI&feature=channel_page

Alex Worthy
Scribbler

Postby Alex Worthy » Tue February 2nd, 2010, 9:11 pm

"donroc" wrote:Captain From Castile by Samuel Shellabarger.

Captain from Castile was good. See South America for other suggestions.

Aztec by Gary Jennings is well know for this period of history. Great book, but I didn't like the subsequent Aztec book.

Just bought Skull Rack by Braithwate. Also recommended in this forum.

Alex Worthy
Scribbler

Postby Alex Worthy » Tue February 2nd, 2010, 9:16 pm

I meant look in Latin America

Jack
Reader

Postby Jack » Wed February 3rd, 2010, 4:38 am

There's a great old paperback called THE GOLDEN PRINCESS by Alexander Baron. It dates back to 1954, and it deals with La Malinche as its central character, but it is a terriffic portrayal of the invasion and conquest by Cortes. The author tells the story through her eyes, but it tells the reader a lot about Cortes and the political scene in the area at the time. Good book.
Jack

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Wed February 3rd, 2010, 7:54 am

There is the old Michener time-sweep, called "Mexico", which covers Cortez' conquest.

Malinche is also the subject of Colin Falconer's novel "The Feathered Serpent" and Laura Esquivel's "Malinche"

Rider Haggard even wrote a novel in the 19th century called
'Montezuma's Daughter", though it has an English protagonist rather than a Spanish one.

Chris Little
Reader

Conquistadors

Postby Chris Little » Sat February 6th, 2010, 3:15 am

are much more fleshed out humans for me since I recently read Kim MacQuarrie's "Last Days of the Incas" ... while it was primarily Pizarro oriented, the references to Cortez helped me better understand the Spanish takeover of Mexico/Central America. There were times while reading MacQuarrie, I felt twinges of "Shogun" ... such an epic tale.

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Postby Kveto from Prague » Fri February 12th, 2010, 10:59 pm

Cheers to all for the tips :-)

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Mon March 15th, 2010, 10:48 pm

Just came across another one for this thread

Norman Spinrad "Mexica" (2005) - sounds interesting. I enjoyed his "Druid King"
http://www.scifidimensions.com/Mar06/mexica.htm

Chris Little
Reader

Postby Chris Little » Wed March 17th, 2010, 8:47 pm

Regarding Daniel Peters story set in Aztec Mexico, "The Luck of Huemac" ...
After about 50 pages of increasing skimming, I didn't care to continue.

Return to “By Era”