Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Teen Nostalgia: Angelique, Catherine & Marianne

Mello
Reader

Post by Mello » Mon September 7th, 2009, 6:50 am

Ah yes, count me in as a Catherine and Marianne fan. They were the first serious novels I read as a young, impressionable teenager, along with Jean Plaidy. I’m currently on a mission to find them all again, just for nostalgia’s sake.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon September 7th, 2009, 8:44 pm

I loved all three series as a teenager- though had to make sure my mother didn't catch me reading them-- they weren't considered "suitable"!

My local library at the time didn't have all the "Catherine" books so the series finished in mid-air for me-- a reminder that I should track down the last couple sometime and see how her story ends.

Was just checking secondhand bookstores for the misssing "Catherine" books and had to chuckle at the book covers
Here's the one for "A Snare For Catherine"

Last edited by annis on Mon September 7th, 2009, 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mello
Reader

Post by Mello » Tue September 8th, 2009, 7:10 am

I have that book! They certainly don't look happy do they? I believe the last book in the Catherine series was never translated into English, so as my French is limited to excusez moi, I am never likely to know what happened to Catherine and Arnaud :(

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue September 8th, 2009, 9:18 am

Hey, maybe that's the answer to why I always felt as if the series finished in mid-air. I might have read all the ones available in English in fact.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Tue September 8th, 2009, 1:34 pm

Snare was the next to last book in the Catherine series and the last to be translated. And yes, I remember vividly my mother and I complaining about how the story was left in mid-air. The last book, La dame de Montsalvy, is in print in French. Which doesn't help you much, Mello.

But look what I found!

Here is a site dedicated to the Catherine series, and if you scroll down, on the left hand side is a link to chapter summaries of the final book.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue September 8th, 2009, 8:21 pm

Thanks, Miss M. Now I know that I did read all the "Catherine" books available in English. At the time I read them as a young teenager, I just assumed that there were more not held by my library.

Mello
Reader

Post by Mello » Tue September 8th, 2009, 11:00 pm

Thanks for the link, Miss M. It proves you can find just about anything on the net!

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Fri November 20th, 2009, 4:46 am

I just posted about the Angelique series on my blog as part of the Historical Tapestry Alphabet in Historical Fiction Challenge.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Mon November 23rd, 2009, 2:05 am

I did leave a comment on your blog Miss Moppet but I wanted to say how much I enjoyed your post on Angelique! I am going to add La Parisienne to my to view list as well as see if I can get my hands on any of the Angelique movies!

And thanks again for playing along with our HT challenge!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Mon November 23rd, 2009, 12:39 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]I did leave a comment on your blog Miss Moppet but I wanted to say how much I enjoyed your post on Angelique! I am going to add La Parisienne to my to view list as well as see if I can get my hands on any of the Angelique movies! [/quote]

Good luck! I know they are out there but not in a UK format, so I can't rent or buy them much to my frustration. La Parisienne should be easier to get hold of. I think it was called Une Parisienne for France and La Parisienne for other markets. I also recommend Et Dieu Crea La Femme/And God Created Woman if you haven't seen it.

Return to “By Era”