Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Teen Nostalgia: Angelique, Catherine & Marianne

SGM
Compulsive Reader

The Falcon - Juliette Benzoni

Post by SGM » Wed April 7th, 2010, 6:56 pm

I have just found in my bookcase a Juliette Benzoni novel called The Devil's Diamonds which I must have picked up in a charity shop at some point.

A search of the web throws up a series called Le Gerfaut (Gyrfalcon), the first of which is called The Lure of the Falcon and sounds vaguely familiar although I am pretty sure I didn't read it when I read the Catherine and Marianne books. But I might be getting this mixed up with a Catherine Gaskin novel with a similar name.

Goodreads doesn't throw up a book with this exact title although there is a very similar one which is probably just a slight difference in translation.

Does anyone else know anything about this series? I think there were three. I will upload the book cover to Goodreads when I figure out how.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed April 7th, 2010, 7:56 pm

According to Fantastic Fiction, there were 2 books in this series, though I haven't come acros them myself.

Le Gerfaut des Brumes series (according to my shaky French this translates to something like Falcon of the Mists)
1. The Lure Of The Falcon (1978)
2. The Devil's Diamonds (1980)
aka The Devil's Necklace

I see that there is a 3rd book listed in French as Le Trésor and a 4th called Haute-Savane - possibly not published in English as happened with the last Catherine book?
Last edited by annis on Wed April 7th, 2010, 8:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Sat June 12th, 2010, 6:50 am

quick question. how do the cathrine and marrianne books compare with the angelique books? are they in the same vein or significantly different?

Gabriele Campbell
Reader

Post by Gabriele Campbell » Sun March 2nd, 2014, 6:18 pm

Ah, the Angelique books. I read a bunch of them as teen, too, but then came across that scene where Angelique and some other women are raped and she berates a girl - who had been a virgin - for not shrugging it off like she did, but crying instead. That was when the book hit the proverbial wall and I never went back to the series.

Return to “By Era”