Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Dutch East Indies Company?

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Dutch East Indies Company?

Post by diamondlil » Tue July 14th, 2009, 3:15 am

I was wondering if anyone knows of any HF which deals with the activities of the Dutch East Indies Company (VOC) with particular emphasis on the exploraton of the west coast of Australia. There were a number of shipwrecks and mutinies and landings, so there could be quite a few interesting stories to read.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue July 14th, 2009, 3:57 am

Some years ago I became fascinated with the 1629 wreck of the Dutch East Indiaman "Batavia" on the Abrolhos Islands some 40 miles off the coast of Western Australia after reading Mike Dash's non-fiction book "Batavia's Graveyard" , a story of shipwreck, psychopaths, mutiny and murder which makes "Lord of the Flies" look like a kids' picnic, and have since found a couple of novels dealing with the subject

Henrietta Drake-Brockman's "The Wicked and the Fair" (1959)

Arabella Edge
"The Company"

The activities of the VOC itself are part of these stories, but "Batavia's Graveyard" is highly recommended if you want to learn the details of a spice company every bit as ruthless as any Colombian cocaine cartel!

The story of the "Batavia" wreck here:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~bill/batavia.html
Last edited by annis on Tue July 14th, 2009, 4:40 am, edited 5 times in total.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue July 14th, 2009, 4:08 am

The story of the Batavia is pretty much why I am asking the question. There is a part of the Maritime Museum in Fremantle which is called Shipwreck Galleries, and they have a whole section which looks at several of the VOC ships which sank off the coast of Western Australia, including the Batavia. There is actually a small part of the stern of The Batavia that has been preserved and is displayed in the museum (small being relative to the size of the actual ship not the size of the piece). When I get home I will try to download the photos from my camera.

Part of the reason why I wanted to go there is that I remember going to what is now the Shipwreck Galleries (it was then the Maritime museum) when I was a very young primary school student.

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue July 14th, 2009, 4:56 am

I left out another "Batavia" novel- Kathryn Heyman's "The Accomplice"

When I came across this story I couldn't believe that I'd never heard of it before- I guess it is much better known in Australia.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue July 14th, 2009, 5:20 am

I would further narrow that down and say that it is probably better known in Western Australia. I doubt it is particularly well known in most other states.

Edith Wharton

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue July 14th, 2009, 5:24 am

Maybe not. I just asked my colleagues and they were vaguely familiar with the story, and one of my co workers said that it was mentioned in The Persimmon Tree by Bryce Courtney (which I have read, but is more about WWII in what was then Batavia (now Jakarta)) and the exploration of the shipwreck is apparently one of the main features in the book Flood Tide by Judy Nunn.

Edith Wharton

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Tue July 14th, 2009, 10:13 am

I recall that Michener's The Covenant deals extensively with the Company and Batavia, but this novel is mainly about South Africa, not Australia.

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Tue July 14th, 2009, 11:36 am

I would love to read HF about the Dutch EIC. They have a very small role in John Masters Coromandel.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed July 15th, 2009, 7:00 am

Here's another VOC adventure written by an Australian author. It's not about the "Batavia" , but may have been inspired by that story.

"Dead Men's Dreaming" by Peter Hancock

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed July 15th, 2009, 11:27 am

Thanks Annis! I have requested The Company from the library.

Here's a photo of my son standing in front of the inside of the wreck of the Batavia at the Shipwreck Galleries.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Edith Wharton

Return to “By Era”