Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Jacobites

penelope29
Scribbler

Post by penelope29 » Sat August 22nd, 2009, 5:13 pm

Sophia's Secret by Susanna Kearsley touches on this, I think! It's a time slip novel and one I enjoyed very much.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat August 22nd, 2009, 10:50 pm

The Winter Sea/Sophia's Secret was the book that I read that prompted this question. I loved it!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun August 23rd, 2009, 5:35 am

Someone on Amazon mentioned Sophie Gee's "Scandal of the Season", which might fit here It's set in 1711 London, and involves a Jacobite plot, and how players in it inspire Alexander Pope's "The Rape of the Lock".

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun August 23rd, 2009, 11:26 am

[quote=""annis""]Someone on Amazon mentioned Sophie Gee's "Scandal of the Season", which might fit here It's set in 1711 London, and involves a Jacobite plot, and how players in it inspire Alexander Pope's "The Rape of the Lock".[/quote]

I had that out from the library recently and didn't make it very far. Something wasn't clicking and I went back to look at the one and two star reviews and found my answer.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Sun August 23rd, 2009, 11:22 pm

My first pick would be Devil Water, which is excellent.

The DK Broster trilogy is the classic book.

One of Diana Norman's books, Blood Royal, deals with a fictional noblewoman caught up in the Jacobite 'cause'. The plot is improbable, but the books is a very good read overall. I think it also features Alexander Pope!

Susanna Kearsley's book deals, I think, with the 1715 rebellion. It's harder to find books about that than "the '45", which led to Culloden. Partly because the Old Pretender was a dull dog compared to Bonnie Prince Charlie.

I'm fairly sure one of Reay Tannahill's earlier books deals with the 1745 rebellion or its aftermath. Evelyn Anthony wrote two books about the 1745 and its aftermath -- the Wild Geese at the French court. The first is the one most along the lines you're looking for -- Clandara. The second is set exclusively in France.

Some of the Morland series by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles would cover the timeframe.

I've got little patience with contemporary Jacobite claimants. For starters, James II did, de facto if not de jure, abdicate in the face of a threat (vs holding his ground.) Also, while the Act of Succession of 1701 (on the death of James II, the one that debars a Catholic from inheriting the throne) was passed during Queen Anne's reign (an invalid reign in Jacobite eyes), it was during the reign of several viable challengers. After that Act was passed, two efforts were made to oust the Hanoverians (both failed), and the obvious legitimate line died out. The current line descends via the House of Savoy -- Catholics, and descended from the youngest child of Charles I, who never lived in England after she was a few months old, and whose descendants have had no ties with their 'homeland'. Not surprisingly, no one has pursued the claim for 200 years...

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon August 24th, 2009, 4:57 am

I'm stumped on the Reay Tannahill title, CB- can't recall one with Jacobites, thougH RT did tackle Mary QOS in "Fatal Majesty"

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Tue August 25th, 2009, 12:00 am

Maybe it was a post-Jacobite theme, Annis? I know there's something out there and it's making me a bit crazy...

For fans of quirky romantic fiction, there is Laura Black's Albany.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Tue August 25th, 2009, 12:05 am

[quote=""Chatterbox""]Maybe it was a post-Jacobite theme, Annis? I know there's something out there and it's making me a bit crazy...

For fans of quirky romantic fiction, there is Laura Black's Albany.[/quote]

The World, the Flesh, and the Devil?
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Tue August 25th, 2009, 1:02 am

Nope, BB -- that one is excellent, but it's squarely in your era - early 15th century, post papal schism, set around the Scottish court of James I of Scotland and his wife, Joan Beaufort, and their rebellious nobles who thought James was just too English (and murdered him.)

I may be muddling up "in Dark & Distant Waters" with memories of some historical romances, like those by Constance Heaven. I think she set one of her novels in 18th C scotland -- The Fires of Glenlochly? Or was that 19th c? Sigh. Early onset Alzheimer's, no question. I couldn't even remember the name of the game Musical Chairs earlier today.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Tue August 25th, 2009, 1:37 am

[quote=""Chatterbox""]Nope, BB -- that one is excellent, but it's squarely in your era - early 15th century, post papal schism, set around the Scottish court of James I of Scotland and his wife, Joan Beaufort, and their rebellious nobles who thought James was just too English (and murdered him.)

I may be muddling up "in Dark & Distant Waters" with memories of some historical romances, like those by Constance Heaven. I think she set one of her novels in 18th C scotland -- The Fires of Glenlochly? Or was that 19th c? Sigh. Early onset Alzheimer's, no question. I couldn't even remember the name of the game Musical Chairs earlier today.[/quote]

Well, you got me over to PaperbackSwap to find a copy of The World, the Flesh, and the Devil! My credits disappear as fast as I get 'em.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Return to “By Era”