Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

30 years war

Jack
Reader

Post by Jack » Sat July 4th, 2009, 7:39 pm

Sorry, but I remember that Catherine Wedgewood also wrote about the 30 years war, but I just can't remember the title. It was a while ago that I read it. I do remember being impressed-as I usually am by her work. Again though, this is Non Fiction.

Jack

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Tue January 25th, 2011, 3:36 pm

im noticing that G A Henty set quite a few novels during the 30 years war.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue January 25th, 2011, 5:39 pm

Eric Flint has an alternate history series which starts with the Thirty-Years War and a book called 1632 . It's based on the time travel trope of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, except it's a whole town from West Virginia, USA that gets transported to 17th-century Thuringia. There are several books in the series, but I've only read the first. It's a light read in the genre, mostly American daring-do as the good citizens of Grantville cope with being surrounded by a raging war and the loss of their technology. It seemed well-researched with interesting characters and a star turn for King Gustavus Adolphus.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Tue January 25th, 2011, 6:49 pm

I recently ordered a new novel about the Thirty Years War, Heather Richardson's Magdeburg, about a Protestant family living during the siege of that city in 1631. It's available through Lagan Press out of Northern Ireland.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Tue January 25th, 2011, 6:56 pm

There is Honour and the Sword by A L Berridge which (I think) is just now out in paperback (and Kindle)
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue January 25th, 2011, 7:00 pm

I've read Honour and the Sword, which is very much in the swashbuckler tradition. It's the first in a series I think- the author indicated that there will be at least a sequel.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Wed January 26th, 2011, 6:33 pm

[quote=""Jack""]Sorry, but I remember that Catherine Wedgewood also wrote about the 30 years war, but I just can't remember the title. It was a while ago that I read it. I do remember being impressed-as I usually am by her work. Again though, this is Non Fiction.

Jack[/quote]

Are you referring to C V Wedgwood? If so, it is called The Thirty Years War -- I have been looking at it myself over the last couple of days.

I thought her name was Cecilia -- but may be wrong -- and I can't lay my hand on it this instant to look up but the cover has her as CV Wedgwood anyway as do all the others of hers that I have.

But there is loads about her on the Internet and she does come from a famous family.
Last edited by SGM on Wed January 26th, 2011, 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Thu January 27th, 2011, 2:47 am

Wedgwood's book does give an excellent overview of the war.

If true, the defenestrated gentleman was given a title that translates as Lord of the High Fall.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Thu January 27th, 2011, 6:35 pm

I was wrong the C in CV stands for Cicely

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Thu January 27th, 2011, 7:47 pm

[quote=""donroc""]Wedgwood's book does give an excellent overview of the war.

If true, the defenestrated gentleman was given a title that translates as Lord of the High Fall.[/quote]

That is true! There were actually 3 men who were thrown out of the window. The two catholic regents, Vilem Slavata and Jaroslav of Martinec were the intended targets (they expected to be arrested rather than defenstrated)

It was actually the third unintended victim, who was their secretary, Filip, who later received the title from the German emperor (i think) of "Baron von Hohenfall".

Ive been in the room of the Prague castle where they were thrown from. It must have been quite a fall, at least 20 metres. Luckily for them, they landed in a big pile of dung in the empty moat.

I once saw a fantastic wall painting that tried to explain the miracle, how they were saved by angels rather than poo.

Slavata actually went on to write Historesky spisovani, our most important historical source for the first part of the war (in the Bohemian lands)

Return to “By Era”