Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Conqueror by Georgette Heyer

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu December 4th, 2008, 8:04 am

[quote=""amyb""]The Conqueror is one of six historical novels written by Georgette Heyer, who is best known for her Regency Romances,
[/quote]

Which ones are her historical novels? I can't find a list anywhere.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

amyb
Reader

Post by amyb » Thu December 4th, 2008, 12:40 pm

There's An Infamous Army, Simon the Coldheart, My Lord John, The Spanish Bride and Royal Escape. You can find their descriptions on Amazon.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu December 4th, 2008, 1:17 pm

Thanks, Amy. I've made a note of them.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Mon August 8th, 2011, 5:28 pm

[quote=""amyb""]There's An Infamous Army, Simon the Coldheart, My Lord John, The Spanish Bride and Royal Escape. You can find their descriptions on Amazon.[/quote] I bought all of Heyer's "historicals" last year. I haven't read all of them yet (My Lord John and Simon Coldheart are still on my TBR) of those I have read The Conqueror is by far my favorite. I really enjoyed it and it is a keeper -- but then, I am particularly drawn to that time period. An Infamous Army was "ok", Royal Escape was slightly less "ok", and The Spanish Bride was a total dud: dry as a bowl of cornflakes without milk, and I couldn't even finish it. :(

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Tue August 9th, 2011, 12:43 am

I read somewhere once - maybe in one of the critical works on her? - that Heyer didnt' like Simon the Coldheat at all, and wouldn't let it be republished once the inital print-run had finished. It wasn't republished until after she died - if I'm remembering things correctly, of course!

It's also the first Heyer I ever read, not knowing anything about her reputation as a regency romance writer when I read it at 14-ish. It was quite a surprise to me much later when I found out that she wasn't particularly known for the straight-historicals, as I really enjoyed it.

Ive got some of her other historicals, but haven't read them yet, my TBR is slowly taking over the spare bedroom, and it doesn't look like getting smaller any time soon... :D
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue August 9th, 2011, 1:00 am

Funny thing, Michy, I loved The Spanish Bride - so much so that I tracked down a copy of Sir Harry Smith's memoirs and read them as well, and very readable they are too. Sir Harry writes in an informal, energetic style which gives an excellent picture of the man himself.

I enjoyed The Conqueror as well, and I think I've mentioned elsewhere how much its style owes to the Victorian medieval revival movement - there's more than a whiff of Sir Walter Scott about it. I still think John Wingate's William the Conqueror is the best fictional portrayal of William that i've read so far, though. Still waiting on Carol Wensby-Scott's novel about William and Matilda called The Proud Conquest- I thought her Lion of Alnwick series was terrific and have high hopes of PC.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue August 9th, 2011, 1:33 am

Still waiting on Carol Wensby-Scott's novel about William and Matilda called The Proud Conquest- I thought her Lion of Alnwick series was terrific and have high hopes of PC.
I have a copy of PC as well. When I will get around to reading it is another story.. :confused:
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Tue August 9th, 2011, 2:03 am

[quote=""annis""]Funny thing, Michy, I loved The Spanish Bride - so much so that I tracked down a copy of Sir Harry Smith's memoirs and read them as well, and very readable they are too. Sir Harry writes in an informal, energetic style which gives an excellent picture of the man himself.[/quote] In The Spanish Bride the focus is definitely on the Napoleonic War, with most of the attention given to Harry Smith's military life and the various battles he was involved in. The domestic side of his life was relegated to brief scenes in-between. I think to enjoy the book you have to like this type of military focus. I don't, so I didn't enjoy the book at all.
I still think John Wingate's William the Conqueror is the best fictional portrayal of William that i've read so far, though.
I've had this on my wishlist for quite some time. Hopefully I'll get my hands on a copy one of these days....

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Tue August 9th, 2011, 5:51 pm

I enjoyed The Spanish Bride and really enjoyed Infamous Army. I read The Conqueror when I was really young and found it OK but haven't read it since (one of the few that hasn't had a re-read). Simon, again, I was really young when I read it and found it OK. Royal Escape I will really try to get round to re-reading again as it is set in a period I am interested in. I didn't get on with Lord John but, again, I was very young so I wouldn't put much store in that. Jane Aiken Hodge's book on Heyer was interesting about Heyer's problems with writing Lord John particularly the dialogue.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue August 9th, 2011, 6:06 pm

I liked Royal Escape - Heyer clearly was a bit in love with Charles II and makes him a man anyone would want to follow, charming and charismatic but struggling at times to come to terms with the disaster at Worcester. Jane Lane, who helped Charles escape, plays quite a large part in RE and I see she has her own story now- Gillian Bagwell has written a novel about her called The September Queen

Return to “By Author's Last Name G-L”