Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Selene of Alexandria by Faith L. Justice

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Selene of Alexandria by Faith L. Justice

Post by Rowan » Wed July 8th, 2015, 2:33 pm

This story of ambition, love, and political intrigue brings to life colorful characters and an exotic time and place. In A.D. 412 Alexandria, against the backdrop of a city torn by religious and political strife, Selene struggles to achieve her dream of becoming a physician—an unlikely goal for an upper class Christian girl. Hypatia, the famed Lady Philosopher of Alexandria, and the Augustal Prefect Orestes offer their patronage and protection. But will it be enough to save Selene from murderous riots, the machinations of a charismatic Bishop and—most dangerous of all—her own impulsive nature?

+++++++++

I started to write this review without the benefit of the publisher's summary and it became long and convoluted. :o :o :o

Truthfully, I don't recall how I became interested in Hypatia, but after seeing the 2009 movie 'Agora', which covers the latter part of her life, I was even more curious. While this book isn't about Hypatia directly, she is a dominant feature in the life of the fictional character Selene.

This story chronicles a part of Egyptian history full of violence and upheaval and in the midst of it all is Selene - a young woman who bucks convention and wants to forge her own way through life. She doesn't want to be tied down to marriage and a brood of children. She wants to help others by ministering to their physical ailments as the Church ministers to their spiritual ailments. Unfortunately, the Church - and more specifically Patriarch Cyril (an altogether real and very unlikeable individual) - believe that the spiritual and physical are one in the same.

Though the entire book takes us through only a few scant years of Selene's life, we are allowed a glimpse into the growth and blossoming of a young woman faced with many issues as she moves from awkward teenaged years to a mature young adult.

I'm not always the greatest at picturing places in my mind, yet somehow I still manage to feel like I'm there with characters - wherever 'there' is. But in this story, I felt the hot dusty land of Alexandria. I felt that I was there with these people and could've (by God I wanted to!!!) railed against the injustices of every event that happened to and around Selene. I found myself reading when I should've been working; staying up late just to read a few more lines of this incredible story. There aren't many books I have ever done that, but Faith has breathed such life into this incredible story that I truly cared for each of them. (Okay NOT Cyril or any of his ilk. :p ) My heart ached with Selene's as each new death occurred.

Definitely 5/5 for me. And a huge thank you to Faith for her skills.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed July 8th, 2015, 7:18 pm

Thank you for the lovely review, Rowan. I'm so glad you enjoyed the book!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Return to “By Author's Last Name G-L”