Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ben Kane: Eagles at War

Manda Scott
Reader

Ben Kane: Eagles at War

Post by Manda Scott » Thu April 30th, 2015, 4:24 pm

Full disclosure: Ben Kane is a friend and fellow member of the HWA... but that said, I'm pretty careful about those I review - I only those books that genuinely move me, or inspire me or leave me lying awake at night wondering if I can ever write anything as powerful... and this book does all of those for me. Others have outlined the plot: the Teutoberg forest and Varus' loss of the legions in 9AD - we know the outline of what happened, but nobody has delved into the hard reality of the betrayal, the conflict between tribal loyalties and loyalty to the legions, the eagles and to Rome. Few either, have looked beyond to what happened next, which is where Ben is going with the other two books in this series. It's easily the best of his writing: rich, deep, full of passion and glory and the courage of war - on both sides. For those of us who think the greatest loss of our history was when Rome held onto Britannia, this looks at both sides of a tribal/legionary war - and allows both to come out with courage.

Bestselling author of
Boudica: Dreaming. INTO THE FIRE out in June 2015: Forget what you thought you knew, this changes everything.

[url=http:www.mandascott.co.uk]http:www.mandascott.co.uk[/url]

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri May 8th, 2015, 4:53 am

Have been waiting forever for a decent novel about the Battle of the Teutoberg Forest (deeply regret that Wallace Breem never wrote the one he had in mind). Looking forward to Ben's version. I've read Ben's freebie story The Shrine and the taster at the end of it for Eagles at War, so I'm keen to get my hands on a copy.

I just have to finish savouring my way through Helen MacDonald's H is for Hawk first - such wonderful writing deserves my full attention.
Last edited by annis on Sun May 10th, 2015, 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “By Author's Last Name G-L”