Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Dacre's War by Rosemary Goring

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat April 4th, 2015, 10:56 am

Dacre's War is a story of personal and political vengeance. Ten years after the battle of Flodden, Adam Crozier, head of his clan and of an increasingly powerful alliance of Borderers, learns for sure that it was Lord Thomas Dacre - now the most powerful man in the north of England - who ordered his father's murder. He determines to take his revenge. As a fighting man, Crozier would like nothing better than to bring Dacre down face to face but his wife Louise advises him that he must use more subtle methods. So he sets out to engineer Dacre's downfall by turning the machinery of the English court against him. A vivid and fast-moving tale of political intrigue and heartache, Dacre's War is set against the backdrop of the Scottish and English borders, a land where there is never any chance of peace.

My Review

A compelling and exciting story beginning in 1523, 10 years after the Battle of Flodden when life is still very fraught for the Borderers. Chief clansman Adam Crozier finds out that Baron Thomas Dacre, Lord Warden of the Marshes, ordered the murder of his father. Crozier wants his revenge and plots Dacre's downfall.

This is a fascinating and imaginative piece of fiction, cleverly combining fact. It is well researched and beautifully written. I was totally absorbed by the story and found it gripping. It makes an excellent sequel to the previous book 'After Flodden'. I enjoyed being involved with some of the same characters' lives again, who were portrayed very realistically and vividly. I can highly recommend both novels to historical fiction fans, especially those who enjoy Scottish history.

Many thanks to Lovereading.co.uk for giving me the opportunity to read and review Dacre's War. I look forward to reading Rosemary Goring's next book.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat April 4th, 2015, 2:03 pm

Okay, it's going on my TBR pile. My Renaissance guild plays the household of Anthony Browne, Viscount Montague, whose second wife was Maggie Dacre--the daughter or granddaughter of Thomas Dacre. I'm supposed to make a list of suggested fiction for guildmembers. (Haven't yet, but working on it.)

Return to “By Author's Last Name G-L”