Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley

Post by Lisa » Wed January 14th, 2015, 10:53 am

I did enjoy reading this book a great deal, but I preferred its predecessor, The Winter Sea.

The story was involving and the characters and settings definitely had substance, however I felt the pacing was slightly off - the beginning was quite exciting, but the middle started to drag and by the time I reached the last quarter of the book I just wanted it to be finished. The ending did go out with a bang though - some twists and revelations I saw coming, and some I didn't.

Specifically, I liked how
Having said that,
An engaging read, but although with all paranormal stories one must suspend disbelief, some parts of this were just a bit too unlikely for me. Worth reading for the descriptions of the settings though, and for closure on the characters in The Winter Sea.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed January 14th, 2015, 3:24 pm

I liked this a lot, but it's been some months and some of the details have faded. This was one of the few times I enjoyed the present day story/characters as much as those in the past.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “By Author's Last Name G-L”