Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Last Queen by C.W. Gortner

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Tue February 9th, 2010, 5:16 pm

Good interview, Muse. Thanks to you and to C.W.!
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Jemidar
Avid Reader

Post by Jemidar » Sat February 13th, 2010, 7:17 pm

I would rate this book as my best read last year. And the most surprising!

I picked it up because I loved the cover (the US one with the gorgeous red dress) and bought it because it was about Katherine of Aragon's sister--so tenuously related to the Tudors. I had no idea who the author was and was more than a little worried when I found out it was a man writing in the first person from a woman's perspective. Not many men can do this with much authenticity, but boy C.W. can!!

I didn't know much about Spain or Juana, so came to this book without much background information, which posed no problems at all, and I was enthralled from almost the first page! I actually read it in one sitting, staying up all night to do so, because I just couldn't put it down :p .

I really can't recommend this book highly enough and believe it is what all good HF should strive to be. And I am really looking forward to C.W's next book on Catherine Medici, who also is not in my usual area of interest, but there's no way I'm missing out on what promises to be another pure delight.

BTW, it's summer 2010 here in the southern hemisphere, so can we have it now, can we please? PLEASE? :D
Jenny

"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Currently Reading:

Return to “By Author's Last Name G-L”