Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Last Queen by C.W. Gortner

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri June 5th, 2009, 6:03 am

I really enjoyed this book, I only knew some bare bones about Juana, and now I eventually want to read a biography on her (maybe C.W can suggest the best one). I really really hated Philip and was so thrilled Juana murdered him (even if she didn't in real life), too bad she couldn't have done the same thing to Don Manual, Cisneros, Villena and her father, they really needed the arse's kicked!

It's too bad her life didn't have a happy ending, if anyone deserved it, she did.

I look forward to your book on Catherine C.W!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Sun June 7th, 2009, 4:39 am

[quote=""Carine""]Yesterday I was surfing the internet for Juana and what I didn't know was that in 2001 a movie has been made about her !

Click herefor info on IMDB

and here is a trailer of the film on YouTube[/quote]

It's a beautifully made film, Carine, with an excellent performance by the lead actress. It does stick to the popular legend, but the locales and ambiance and costuming are well worth seeing. I have it on DVD and I've watched it several times.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Sun June 7th, 2009, 4:43 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]I really enjoyed this book, I only knew some bare bones about Juana, and now I eventually want to read a biography on her (maybe C.W can suggest the best one). I look forward to your book on Catherine C.W! SM[/quote]

Thanks, Sonja! I'm delighted you enjoyed it. As far as biographies go, the only one in English that's currently in print is Bethany Aram's.
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun June 7th, 2009, 4:45 am

[quote=""cw gortner""]Thanks, Sonja! I'm delighted you enjoyed it. As far as biographies go, the only one in English that's currently in print is Bethany Aram's.[/quote]

Thanks, it's a bit much then I'd want to pay though, oh well!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Mon September 7th, 2009, 9:13 pm

Just finished this today...

I think TLQ does what PG's books are supposed to do but don't - reimagine a female historical figure from a feminist POV.

Juana la Loca has always been 'Catherine of Aragon's sister' to me so it was great to find out more about her and refreshing to read about a C16 woman who wasn't a Tudor. I did meet her via A-level history but got the stereotypical portrait. Following her through the book, she seemed pretty sane to me! In fact I thought she didn't go far enough - I kept wanting to tell her, "go long, seize the treasury!"

The fairly complex political situation was very well explained while keeping up a fast pace. You understand how hard it was for Juana to know whom to trust or what exactly was going on. I specially enjoyed the bit at the French court as I find Anne of Brittany a fascinating character.

The description was just right, enough to create an atmosphere but not too much. I don't know Spain apart from a short visit to Madrid, long enough to see the Escorial and a few other sights, but this book has definitely made me want to revisit Spain.

And also, this is minor but the map in the front was very clear and good, always helpful!

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Mon September 21st, 2009, 9:43 pm

Thank you very much, Miss Moppet. I'm honored that you liked the book and that it inspires you to re-visit Spain. And my friend Billy will be really happy to hear his map was so useful :)
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Muse in the Fog
Scribbler

The Last Queen by C.W. Gortner

Post by Muse in the Fog » Sat February 6th, 2010, 8:17 am

Juana of Castile, daughter to the revered King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella of Spain, wife of Phillip heir to the Habsburg Empire, and a mother of six. She was used as a pawn to further greedy ambitions, then viewed as a threat to those ambitions. Her enemies warped her image, leaving history to remember her as Juana la Loca...but what would she want history to remember her as?

Juana is only thirteen in the beginning of this story. Through her we witness the fall of Granada and what it is like to be the daughter of the strong Queen Isabella. Her stubborn and determined character is quickly apparent, and we see that this is no ordinary princess. Juana defiantly refuses her mothers demand to wed her to a foreign betrothed until her indulging father gives her a choice in the mater. She can either forgo the betrothal and marry a Spaniard or she can help protect Spain by honoring the betrothal. The choice is clear to Juana, she would do anything for Spain...

At sixteen Juana is sure her future is doomed to be bleak as she sails to Flanders and the court of her soon to be husband, Phillip heir to the Habsburg Empire. What she finds in Philip is more then she could ever have hoped for. A love forms that is so strong, Juana feels nothing could tear them apart. They are blessed with children and Juana is more content then she ever thought possible, until tragedy strikes...

Juana soon learns no one is to be trusted. Greed and ambition is in the heart of everyone around her and sinister plots become abundant. Even as Juana's world is crumbling around her, she never looses her strength or desire to help Spain. She is now the chosen heir of Castile, and she will never stop fighting to claim what is hers and save Spain from its enemies....

This was am excellent book! It grabbed me right from the beginning and never let me go. While reading the book, it is obvious how much time and effort was put into it. It did not matter that I have not read many books set in Spain, because the authors vivid detail took me there in person. The characters were extremely three dimensional; they were so real I found myself wanting to jump in and tell some of them a thing or two. The last page of the book was a perfect and beautiful close to Juana's story...I read it twice! I absolutely loved this novel; its a lovely and heartfelt story of a woman whom history should know more about.

Read my full synopsis & review here

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat February 6th, 2010, 10:22 am

I have this on my TBR pile. Glad you enjoyed it so much, Muse.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Muse in the Fog
Scribbler

Post by Muse in the Fog » Sun February 7th, 2010, 3:42 am

It is definitely one you should keep on your TBR list! Here is a link to an interview I did with the author, C.W. Gortner, today on my blog! http://muse-in-the-fog.blogspot.com/201 ... about.html

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun February 7th, 2010, 2:04 pm

Thanks for that, Muse.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “By Author's Last Name G-L”