Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Trail through Time by Jodi Taylor & Angel by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Mon November 24th, 2008, 11:58 am

I was intrigued by the "red book" and would like to have found out more, so this sounds worth reading.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Mon March 16th, 2009, 7:10 am

I was impressed by this novel, which I just recently finished. The characters are well-drawn and the constantly building tension compelling. I was completely lost in the story at one stage and looked up to discover that an hour had passed without me even noticing. It's a grim and sad story, and reminds me a bit of Ronan Bennett's "Havoc in its Third Year", set during the English Civil War period. another poignant, gripping story about the fear, superstition, cruelty and mean-minded pleasure in others' misery which can result from overly-rigid righteousnss.

I happened upon this interview with Kathleen Kent which I found interesting, so I thought I'd post it here.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/interview/with/author/kathleen-kent

Sheramy
Reader

Postby Sheramy » Tue October 13th, 2009, 11:47 pm

I just finished HD earlier this week. It certainly did add a lot to the book knowing that the author has a familial connection with Martha Carrier. The research felt very solid, and the historical details are vivid. I agree with Misfit, who noted there is a good use of imagery, but that it could get to be a bit much. There were places I wanted the pace to pick up a bit (with less imagery and more dialogue/action). It did start out a little slow for my taste. But in other places, like the long interlude in the prison, the slower pace and the detailed descriptions really work, because you *feel* the length of time she's in the cell. (I mean that in a positive way -- not that I felt like I was in jail reading it...hope you know what I mean!)

I'm not sure how interested I'd be in a prequel, though. The brothers' characters weren't as fleshed out as the parents, the cousin, and the narrator herself.

I have the Physick Book of Deliverance Dane on my TBR pile, courtesy of the HNR goodie bag. It will be interesting to compare the two, although I don't plan to start PBDD for a while yet. Too many witches all at once...
Sunflowers: A Novel of Vincent van Gogh, forthcoming from Avon-A, 13 October 2009
My blog: http://vangoghschair.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.sheramybundrick.com
For it is truly the discovery of a new hemisphere in a person's life when he falls seriously in love. -Vincent van Gogh

Return to “By Author's Last Name G-L”