Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent

Divia
Bibliomaniac

The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent

Post by Divia » Mon October 6th, 2008, 7:17 pm

The Heretic’s Daughter is a unique book about the Salem witch trails because it is told from a child’s perspective. This is Kathleen Kent’s first novel and it is about her family’s history.

The Carrier family move into Andover so they can live with their material grandmother. From day one there is suspicion on them. Then smallpox hits Andover and the Carrier family are blamed for bringing it to Andover. Sarah, and her sister, Hannah, are whisked away in the night to her aunt’s home where they will stay until the smallpox epidemic is over.

After the smallpox scare Sarah and Hannah return home, much to Sarah’s dismay. She finds things are not how she has left them. Some people she loved are dead and others are greatly changed by the smallpox.

Sarah tries to go about her daily choirs, but she finds living with her mother unbearable. Mixed in with daily life are the fear of Indian raids, strange happenings in Salem and a mystery as to what Sarah’s father did before he came to America.

After a storm and a bad winter people begin to talk about witchcraft and it is Sarah’s headstrong, independent mother, Martha, who is arrested as a witch.

The reader learns about Sarah’s feelings and fears as the witch trials, and her mother’s imprisonment drag on.

Overall, I did enjoy the story, but something that annoyed me was the way in which the author wrote the novel. Ms. Kent does a wonderful job of using great imagery, but sometimes it got tiresome. And let’s not forget the narrator was a girl of 10 while this was going on. I cannot, for the life of me, think of any 10 year old who talks in such a way. So while Sarah was 10 and 11 through most of the novel I thought of her as a young woman due to the writing.

I read recently that Ms. Kent is working on a prequel about Martha Carrier’s husband, Thomas. Perhaps his mysterious past will be dealt with in her prequel novel, for little of it was touched upon in Heretic’s Daughter.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon October 6th, 2008, 8:29 pm

Hmmm, sounds interesting but I'm not sure. All those glowing gushing reviews at Amazon and most of those are either in the top rank (which means they got an ARC) or one or two review wonders. The library has several copies so I might give it a whirl.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon October 6th, 2008, 8:48 pm

yeah, I saw that amazon had like 26 5 star reviews which made me wonder too. I would get it from the lib. I think you may enjoy it, but I dunno for sure.

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Mon October 6th, 2008, 9:01 pm

Well, I haven't read the book as yet (it's sitting here at the top of my Eiffel Tower of books), but as an author, I never expect reviewers who receive ARCs or even free hardcovers to review the book well (I assume that whatever their honest opinion is, that's what they'll post, even if it's negative). I'm not sure about Amazon's Vine policy. Will they stop sending books to a particular if reviewer if that reviewer posts two or three star reviews?
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon October 6th, 2008, 11:00 pm

To date they told us that they wouldnt take away our vine status if we give bad reviews. I've given one bad review and a few three star ones. There is talk that some bad reviews disappearing. I dont know if thats true because it hasnt happened to me.

As for the book it was good, but I dont think it was 5 star material. Also the historical detail wasnt as rich as I would have liked it.

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Mon October 6th, 2008, 11:10 pm

Divia, it would be really disturbing to discover Amazon taking away Vine status for bad reviews. It would be basically like buying good reviews with free books.

And I can't wait to read this novel! I had a reviewer email me yesterday asking for a copy of The Heretic's Daughter (a request that gets forwarded to my publicist, the gate keeper of books). I didn't have the heart to correct her, but I wonder if she's going to be in for a big surprise when a cover with a wing shows up in the mail! HA!

Great review!
Visit MichelleMoran.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue October 7th, 2008, 12:18 am

I never expect reviewers who receive ARCs or even free hardcovers to review the book well (I assume that whatever their honest opinion is, that's what they'll post, even if it's negative
Going OT here (forgive me madame moderator :o ). A lot of "top rated" (especially the highest ranked) seem to get free book copies/ARC's from publishers on a very regular occasion -- and I'm not even touching Harriet Klausner this time. It may just be me, but it seems that the free book may or may not taint their opinion, giving a rosier review of the book than might warrant. There is one reviewer in particular I'm thinking of who does a lot of the newest HF. I'm sure she reads them (unlike Harriet), but she almost always rates them higher than anyone else does, and I tend to give her reviews a wide berth and a big grain of sand.

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Tue October 7th, 2008, 12:59 am

It may just be me, but it seems that the free book may or may not taint their opinion, giving a rosier review of the book than might warrant.
I guess it makes sense. I just hope Amazon doesn't penalize those reviewers who post honest opinions if those honest opinions come with one or two stars.
Visit MichelleMoran.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue October 7th, 2008, 3:18 am

[quote=""michellemoran""]I guess it makes sense. I just hope Amazon doesn't penalize those reviewers who post honest opinions if those honest opinions come with one or two stars.[/quote]

I agree. And while on the vine MB people have said their reviews have been deleted to date I havent seen my deleted so I cannot say if it is so or not. Plus, Misfit can say if it has happened to her or not also cause she's given a few one or two star reviews.

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Tue October 7th, 2008, 5:14 am

I'm quite interested in this book. I've read some good reviews of it. Have entered a few giveaways for the book but haven't yet been lucky enough to snag one! But I just checked and one of the libraries local to me has it on order! I really should make more use of the library!

Return to “By Author's Last Name G-L”