Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Hawk Quest by Robert Lyndon

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Hawk Quest by Robert Lyndon

Post by parthianbow » Sat December 31st, 2011, 2:15 pm

Quite simply, Hawk Quest is the best book I've read this year (I was lucky enough to read it before the pub. date); and that's saying something in a 12 month period when I've read more novels than I have done in an age. Let me add that I've been really impressed with some of the books I've read in this time, indeed I've really loved some of them. Yet somehow Hawk Quest eclipses them all.

To be frank, this is one of the best books I've read I don't know how long. It's beautifully written, deeply evocative, and oozing with rich detail of the period. Do not worry that this is a dry tome, however - far from it. Lyndon sucks the reader into his world, and his lyrical narrative makes the pages turn by themselves. His disparate group of characters: the brooding but deadly warrior Vallon, the idealistic and naive Hero, the earthy but brutal soldier Raul and the haunted, wraith-like Wayland combine to make a wonderful group of heroes whose travails never seem to end. I loved this book. It is absolutely brilliant! I wish I'd written it.
(as published on Amazon)
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun January 1st, 2012, 5:58 pm

Ben, we seem to be off to a good start for old-style epic historical adventures this year. I really enjoyed Colin Falconer's Silk Road, but I think Robert Lyndon's Hawk Quest may just have eclipsed it. Just as well I'm on holiday -can't put this book down and everything else has gone by the board! Such a treat; an intelligent, well-written historical adventure with a real and vivid sense of time and place. I'm particularly struck by the way Lyndon makes subtle yet striking use of the natural world to enhance the atmospheric narrative - reminds me of Rosemary Sutcliff's work. Full-on action, pace, suspense, great characters and meticulous research worn lightly - it doesn't get much better than this.

The elusive white gyrfalcon - in the book, the vertiginous climb up an icy mountain in Greenland to find one is a real heart-stopper.
Last edited by annis on Mon January 2nd, 2012, 2:56 am, edited 10 times in total.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Thu January 12th, 2012, 1:11 am

Guess what's on special at a store near me? Yep 'Hawk Quest' and yes for less than $ 20 I shall be buying it :D .

Bec :)

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu January 12th, 2012, 4:54 pm

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did, Bec :)

Margaret's just posted my review at her Historical Novels Info website:
http://www.historicalnovels.info/Hawk-Quest.html

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Fri January 13th, 2012, 12:39 am

[quote=""annis""]Hope you enjoy it as much as I did, Bec :)

Margaret's just posted my review at her Historical Novels Info website:
http://www.historicalnovels.info/Hawk-Quest.html[/quote]

Oh I think I will. Thanks Annis. I read your review it sounds good.

Bec :)

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Tue January 17th, 2012, 9:00 am

It's an amazing read, Bec.
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue January 17th, 2012, 5:10 pm

I've posted this elsewhere, but I'll add it here because it's so interesting- Robert Lyndon's post about writing Hawk Quest at the Falcata Times website. It's also an inspiration for aspiring authors -it was a hard slog financially for Lyndon and he was broke by the time the book was ready - in fact, if a publisher hadn't bought the book rights he would have had to sell his house!

http://falcatatimes.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... quest.html

Lyndon brings historical realities to life so vividly- for example, in the first couple of pages of his novel you experience the dreadful results of William the Conqueror's genocidal Harrying of the North in a way you never would from reading a history of the period.

Chris Little
Reader

Post by Chris Little » Sun January 22nd, 2012, 5:56 pm

Thanks for that link, Annis. I'm just finishing the hardcover and having perspective on the author enriches the read. Frankly, I'm almost exhausted by all the action, but most impressed by the epic research.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon January 23rd, 2012, 10:26 pm

The pace is non-stop, that's for sure. I was impressed by the quality of Lyndon's writing and the use of detail to enhance the story without overwhelming it. It never has the feel of information added because the author found it interesting and just had to fit it in regardless of whether it was necessary to the story or not.

Lyndon is someone who has taken on board the truth Rosemary Sutcliff touched upon when she said about writing historical fiction:
"The terrible temptation is to try and use everything you’ve found out in the research. That can be absolutely fatal, because you really only need to use about a tenth. It’s rather like an iceberg . . . It has to be there, because it gives you the freedom of the period. But you don’t use it.”

I've just passed my copy of the book on to my youngest son, the ultimate critic :) Looking forward to his opinion.
Last edited by annis on Tue January 24th, 2012, 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Fri March 16th, 2012, 7:09 pm

Just to add to the other positive reviews here. I downloaded Hawk Quest to my Kindle a few months ago and read it on my way to Australia two weeks ago. I was tired with the journey, but couldn't sleep - I just could not put the ***** book down!

What a story! What an adventure! What imagination, supported by incredible geographical research and expert knowledge of falconry. I hope he writes many more such books.

Return to “By Author's Last Name G-L”