Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

This Shining Land by Rosalind Laker

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

This Shining Land by Rosalind Laker

Post by Misfit » Wed September 24th, 2008, 8:40 pm

(4.5) This is not your typical Laker story, but that's a good thing in this case. This Shining Land begins in April 1940 as German troops invade and occupy Norway. During one of the initial bombing raids secretary Johanna Ryen gets a quick introduction to her landlord's other tenant Steffen Larsen, as they barely make it to the basement shelter in time. Sparks fly (of course) and as the Germans continue to take control of the country and its people Steffen and Johanna become involved in the Norwegian Resistance Movement in a dangerous game of cat and mouse -- doing anything and everything to subvert the Germans and gain intelligence for the Allied Forces.

Sounds simple enough, but I found this quite interesting as Laker details not only the politics of the time, but the effects of the occupation by even the smallest details on the populace, as all the basic necessities (food, clothing, etc) were sent to Germany, travel without passes is restricted, radios become secret contraband along with the absolute terror of the constant presence of the Gestapo and SS.

Much of the book is based upon Laker's husband's experiences working in the resistance movement and Laker herself came to Norway as a young bride after the liberation. Laker takes the reader on quite a journey from the first bombing of Oslo to hair raising escapes and nail biting close calls, secret rooms, torture at the hands of the Gestapo to a the horrific details of life in a concentration camp, as Steffen and Johanna try to keep themselves and their love alive. While this story is very different from Laker's usual formula and some of her fans might not care for it, I was quite fascinated and learned much about Norway, its history and customs and how they fought the Nazi occupation. 4.5/5 stars.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Thu September 25th, 2008, 3:05 am

Great review and I'm very intrigued now!! Sigh, another one for the books shelves! :)
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu September 25th, 2008, 2:53 pm

I know what you mean about Laker. I've just got back on the horse after giving it a break for a while. Learned a whole lot with this one, just amazing what the Norwegians went through during the occupation.

Funny, I've posted this on Amazon and purposely avoided the Nazi word and still it hasn't gone through yet. Must be Gestapo holding it up at the censor desk :rolleyes: :cool:

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Sat November 6th, 2010, 11:02 am

I would really like to read this book. I've just finished 'The Guernsey Potato Peel Pie Literary Society' and Suite Francaise. Are there any other books about the German Occupation that anyone can recommend?

Return to “By Author's Last Name G-L”