Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Road To Rome - Ben Kane

stu1883
Avid Reader
Location: I live in Bristol, England with my wife Nicki & our kittens Boomer & Magic

The Road To Rome - Ben Kane

Post by stu1883 » Wed September 22nd, 2010, 6:37 pm

I want to start by saying I hate this writer and I hate this book...

Ben - why did you have to get things so right???? My jealous streak has been well and truly piqued by your amazing writing and a story that gripped me from meeting Romulus and Fabiola as children until their early 20's when "The Road To Rome" is set.

Those of you that know me on here, of course, know I do not hate it - it is a superb story, the characters are deep and human, with the character flaws and idiosyncracies that we all have. Ben's knowledge of the Roman civilization and wars is written in such a way that even those of us that have a basic knowledge of the era are delved deep into it's mysteries and atmosphere.

The book is the third "Forgotten Legion" Chronicle and continues the story of slave turned gladiator cum legionary Romulus and his sibling Fabiola. Both are searching for each other and have a sworn oath to kill an enemy of their past - Fabiola the man who raped their mother and Romulus the cruel Master who sold him to a Gladiator School and his sister to a whorehouse.

I do not want to spoil the story for those waiting to read it but Ben provides twists, violence, humour, romance and sadness with consumate ease.

I cannot wait for his new book, Soldier Of Carthage. This bloke has turned me into a real fan of Roman History........good work, mate.

Stu

Ashley
Scribbler

Post by Ashley » Wed September 22nd, 2010, 8:03 pm

What's the release date on this for the US? I'm still looking for the second one here. Really liked The Forgotten Legion.
~Ashley

King Arthur Fan Fiction, maintainer

My writing can be found on my Live Journal, HERE.

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Wed September 22nd, 2010, 9:39 pm

Wow - great review. Thanks a lot, Stu. :) :) :)
Ashley - glad you enjoyed The Forgotten Legion.
http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Eagle-Ben- ... 414&sr=1-1 for the hardback of The Silver Eagle. The paperback comes out in January, I think.

The Road to Rome will be released in the USA on March 29th next year...
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Ashley
Scribbler

Post by Ashley » Wed September 22nd, 2010, 10:27 pm

Oh, sweet. Thank you, Ben! I will have to get it. And I look forward to March, then. :D
~Ashley

King Arthur Fan Fiction, maintainer

My writing can be found on my Live Journal, HERE.

Russ Whitfield
Reader

Post by Russ Whitfield » Thu September 23rd, 2010, 9:45 am

Great stuff, Ben - I'm getting close to this one now, can't wait to find out what happens.

Cheers

Russ

stu1883
Avid Reader
Location: I live in Bristol, England with my wife Nicki & our kittens Boomer & Magic

Post by stu1883 » Mon September 27th, 2010, 8:51 pm

I noticed "TRTR" was Book of The Week in the Bristol Evening Post Ben! :) Surely immortality is assured now they have picked up on it? lol

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Wed September 29th, 2010, 9:27 am

Wow, I had no idea, Stu! (Even though I live only 9 miles from Bristol, I don't buy the paper.) Thanks for posting. I'll have to look it up...
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Return to “By Author's Last Name G-L”