Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Young Bess, by Margaret Irwin

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Sat March 13th, 2010, 4:01 pm

[quote=""Jemidar""]I personally am a Tudor Junkie, so am far from complaining about the popular overload, but having said that, I'll admit that over the last few years I've read more than my share of very ordinary books and wallbangers. So many recently seem to be "costume dramas" or fancy dress, with loads of inaccuracies and anachronisms so I really miss the feel and atmosphere of the older Tudor classics.

Really looking forward to the reissue of Susan Kay's Legacy :D .
[/quote]

The atmosphere of the Tudor court as a place full of glittering sharks, where a single mistake can take you to the block , as Celia mentioned, is what draws me, and I miss that when it isn't there. Pretty frocks and unlikely adultery don't carry a story for me :-)

I got a second-hand copy of Legacy recently, after recommendations here. Fabulous book.
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat March 13th, 2010, 4:58 pm

Pretty frocks and unlikely adultery don't carry a story for me :-)
I couldn't agree more. Legacy is excellent and I'm so glad to see a new edition coming out - hurrah for Sourcebooks.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “By Author's Last Name G-L”