Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Muse in the Fog
Scribbler

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Post by Muse in the Fog » Sun January 10th, 2010, 8:49 am

I could have written this review with one word....AWESOME....it was just that good! I absolutely loved this book. During the first 200 pages not a lot happened, but it held my interest and I was never once saying "get on with it". After those first 200 pages the book blew up with action and suspense that never stopped. Every time one dramatic scene stopped, another crisis started. I especially loved the continuous clash of tempers between Clair and Jamie; it gave me a lot of laughs. The Scottish accent writing did not bother me at all, it was done very well (just be sure you know that "Ken" means "Know" when you read it, it confused me once or twice, LOL). My only complaint is how much detail there is when informing the reader of what Captain Randall did to Jamie. What he did in the first place was bad enough, but then we were told three more times in great detail what occurred. Besides that little point, everything else was excellent. The book was 850 pages long and I felt like I only read 200...now that's saying something! This book had everything you could want, suspense, romance, humor and so much more. I just briefly touched on what the book was about up above, it does not even come close to what awaits you inside. I definitely look forward to reading the rest of the series!

to view my synopsis along with the review please see my blog at http://muse-in-the-fog.blogspot.com/201 ... aldon.html

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun January 10th, 2010, 12:26 pm

I loved this book, too, Muse. I've read them all now apart from Echo in the Bone. There are a few fans on here.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun January 10th, 2010, 12:33 pm

There's been a lot of discussion on here about this book, and I think we're all agreed that there was way too much description of poor Jamie's experiences at the hands of Captain Randall! Glad you enjoyed it, I read it around this time last year.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun January 10th, 2010, 1:38 pm

I loved this book as well as the whole series but I do agree about the bits with Jamie and Jack Randall going waaaaaay OTT. I could have missed that entirely.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun January 10th, 2010, 2:48 pm

One of my favourites too, although I agree re the those scenes!
I grew up in Scotland, so don't have any trouble with 'Ken'.
I've posted before, but if you want an example of a strong Scottish accent (Glaswegian) you can't get much thicker than this. This is the accent I grew up around!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrmcxa1yBec
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “By Author's Last Name G-L”