Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Revelations of Carey Ravine by Debra Daley

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat May 28th, 2016, 8:58 am

London in the 1770s is bursting with opportunity. It's a city fuelled by new ideas and new money, where everything is for sale - including entrée into the ruling class.

Making their way in this buccaneering society are Carey Ravine, a spirited young woman of enigmatic background, and her husband, the charming, endlessly enterprising Oliver Nash. Carey and Nash share a historic connection to India and a desperate ambition to better themselves. But as Nash's plans draw them into a restless association of gamblers and secret societies, Carey begins to question what's really hidden behind the seedy glamour of their lives. Her unease grows with the appearance of a mysterious man whose appearance unearths a troubling secret from the past. Carey finds herself forced to investigate the truth behind the stranger's claims - and to confront her own illusions about herself.

My Review:

I very much enjoyed this historical mystery set in 18thC London where everyone and everything are not what they seem! Told in the first person, it's a tale of skulduggery and deception galore. There are some serious themes, but it's also light hearted and lively. I thought it was fast paced and well written, too. I was keen to keep reading, eagerly turning the pages, to discover the truth. The characters are well drawn and believable, my favourite being Carey, the eponymous heroine. I found her an inquisitive and brave young woman who always tries to put her best foot forward in life.

An intriguing and engrossing read which held my attention throughout. This is the second book I've read by Debra Daley, she's definitely an author to look out for.

Many thanks to Netgalley and the publisher.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “By Author's Last Name A-F”