Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Burning Land by Bernard Cornwell

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

The Burning Land by Bernard Cornwell

Post by Rowan » Tue May 26th, 2015, 1:11 pm

By this point in the series - book five - it seems like the same people are doing the same thing over and over making the plot rather predictable. Uhtred still wants to return to his home in the north to retake the fortress from his uncle, but cannot because he keeps getting himself tied to King Alfred. The Danes are still trying to capture all of Wessex, but cannot because they lack a sense of organization. Alfred still wants to unite all of what will eventually become England, but he cannot because of the Danes. It's the same song and dance.

So why continue reading the series? Because I, for one, want to see Uhtred succeed and return to his family home. He's done so much for others and gets precious little in return. Even though Uhtred is the fictional character in a very real time, I have rooted for him from the beginning. :) I also think that our lives can sometimes be a bit repetitive, especially when we keep trying to do something or get somewhere and other things get in the way. History, in some way, is just telling that story and following the repetition until we get to where we want to go.

In a clash of heroes, the kingdom is born.

At the end of the ninth century, with King Alfred of Wessex in ill health and his heir still an untested youth, it falls to Alfred's reluctant warlord Uhtred to outwit and outbattle the invading enemy Danes, led by the sword of savage warrior Harald Bloodhair. But the sweetness of Uhtred's victory is soured by tragedy, forcing him to break with the Saxon king. Joining the Vikings, allied with his old friend Ragnar—and his old foe Haesten—Uhtred devises a strategy to invade and conquer Wessex itself. But fate has very different plans.

Return to “By Author's Last Name A-F”