Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

I Marched with Hannibal by Hans Baumann (YA)

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

I Marched with Hannibal by Hans Baumann (YA)

Post by parthianbow » Mon June 4th, 2012, 12:55 pm

I was recommended this book, and being an avid reader of anything to do with Carthage or Rome, I bought it at once. It's an 'old' book, being printed in 1960, and has been translated from its original German. The central protagonist is a nameless boy who is found in the rubble of Saguntum (the town which saw the beginning of Hannibal's war on Rome) by Suru, one of the Carthaginian elephants. Taken on by Suru's driver, he follows Hannibal on his epic march over the Alps. The historical facts are accurate, but unfortunately, they often get offered as large chunks of narrative rather than through what happens directly to the boy or Suru. Nonetheless, the characters are warm and well drawn, and Suru is a pleasure to read about.

All in all, it was an enjoyable read, and well worth it for children who are interested in the time period. However, the book's not up to the same standard as Sutcliff's The Eagle of The Ninth or The Road to Miklagard by Henry Treece.
3.5 stars out of five.
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Return to “By Author's Last Name A-F”