Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Dracula in Love by Karen Essex

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Dracula in Love by Karen Essex

Post by Divia » Mon August 9th, 2010, 9:48 pm

My Amazon review....

This book is about Mina, told in the first person. The reader finds out a little about Mina's childhood in the beginning of the book. We find that she is not a "normal" girl. Mina often sleepwalks, and she is distant which frightens her parents. Later, she becomes a school teacher, but the sleepwalking does not stop. In fact, as she becomes older, and matures into a young woman, the voice of a man continues to haunt to Mina.

I will confess that its been a very long time since I read Dracula. I hardly remember it, to be honest. However, this isn't about Dracula, this is about Mina.

The historical details in this novel helped to give a better understand of the time period. There are so many historical fiction books I read that you would never know what era they are in unless there is a war going on. I think Ms. Essex does a great job of capturing Victorian ideology.

I liked the book, but this isn't a must read, and that's why I only gave it three stars. Also, the sex in the book could be a turn off for a lot of people. I didn't think the sexual encounters were poorly written, but this is a matter of taste, of course. I can see how some people would not like them. I think the reader, before buying this book, needs to think about their personal tastes. Are they OK with sex and rape in their book? If one doesn't mind it, then I say try it. However, if the reader is put off by it then I'm not sure they would enjoy this novel. I do believe this is a book one should borrow from the library because what one person views as tasteful another many not. This book is hard to judge.

This book is a fun, interesting take on the classic tale. It gives Mina a chance to tell her side of the story. For those looking for something a little spicy and not bothered by sex in their novels then I say give this one a go.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon August 9th, 2010, 11:34 pm

I've read enough reviews to convince me to give this a pass. If anything, I'll go and read the original. Appreciate the heads up on the sex, I like to do the same so people know what they are facing going in.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Tue August 10th, 2010, 12:09 am

[quote=""Misfit""]I've read enough reviews to convince me to give this a pass. If anything, I'll go and read the original. [/quote]

Misfit, absolutely do read the original Dracula if you haven't already. It is marvellous. The one reason I'm grateful I read The Historian is because it inspired me to try Dracula, which is so much better.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue August 10th, 2010, 12:27 am

I do intend to do that. If I have read it I've completely forgotten it.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Tue August 10th, 2010, 4:15 am

I endorsed this one and enjoyed it, but I'm not adverse to graphic sex if it's presented within context. For this book, I felt it was necessary to explain Mina's obsession; what I really liked, however, was the mythological twist on the story.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue August 10th, 2010, 5:00 pm

I didnt mind the sex, but I'm sure some will.

However, as I read it I just wasnt as excited as I wanted to be. I was really looking forward to this one. Maybe my expectations were too high? :confused:

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Tue August 10th, 2010, 6:12 pm

[quote=""Divia""]I didnt mind the sex, but I'm sure some will.

However, as I read it I just wasnt as excited as I wanted to be. I was really looking forward to this one. Maybe my expectations were too high? :confused: [/quote]

I think that with a story this iconic, there's bound to be some of us who expect more than the book can deliver. It's no reflection on you; just the way it is. I'm a huge fan of the original Dracula and wasn't too keen on the recent sequel, Dracula the Undead by Stoker's nephew; it felt too made-for-Hollywood for me, but a lot of people loved it. Conversely, I didn't have much expectation when this book came around, except that it be well-written, as I've loved Karen's previous novels.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed August 11th, 2010, 9:01 am

I loved both Dracula and The Historian. However, in The Historian Dracula doesn't actually make much of an appearance until the end if I remember rightly.

I have Syrie James' Dracula My Love on its way to me as I speak!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed August 11th, 2010, 10:38 am

I have a review copy of that as well. I always tought that Essex's would be better. Maybe this other one is. Hmm.

Ashley
Scribbler

Post by Ashley » Sun August 22nd, 2010, 10:29 pm

Thanks for this. I'd seen it in the store recently and thought about picking it up, being an avid fan of Bram Stoker and vampires in general. I adore the original, and just read the "sequel," (don't get me started on that one :p ) by Dacre Stoker.

I have no problems with sex in novels as long as it fits the story line. My biggest complaint about someone I used to love (Laurell Hamilton and her Anita Blake books) is that yes, give me good sex, but give me a good story to go with it!

Perhaps I'll wait for the paperback.
~Ashley

King Arthur Fan Fiction, maintainer

My writing can be found on my Live Journal, HERE.

Return to “By Author's Last Name A-F”