Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Mon September 1st, 2008, 10:03 pm

I didn't like this book at all; several scenes bothered me quite a bit, and I was just relieved when it was over.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu February 28th, 2013, 11:14 am

I was a little disappointed by this book after all the rave reviews. I enjoyed the last part which was set in Egypt. But the thought of all those women stuck in a tent together a few days every month sounded like purgatory to me! And some of the rituals made me squirm. I felt sorry for the sheep! There's nothing wrong with the writing as it's nicely written, but it just didn't engage me very much. I was quite pleased when I'd finished it.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Fri March 8th, 2013, 2:26 am

[quote=""MLE""]I positively loathed the book. Ms. Diamant had no idea what a subsistence herding lifestyle would be like. I raise animals and pack with them, so I have a much better idea. The thought of every female of bearing age in such a lifestyle spending 3-5 days a month sitting around crouched on straw is preposterous.

I also did not like what she did with the Biblical story. It seemed like she was getting 'in-your-face' with the reader's ideas just to stir up a little interest, but offense is a poor substitute for imagination.[/quote]

I enjoyed it when I was younger but now that I am older, I agree with you MLE.

Don't know anything about animals, but what you said about the straw thing yes. And totally agree with your last paragraph.

Return to “By Author's Last Name A-F”