Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Florence Grace by Tracy Rees

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu May 19th, 2016, 5:11 pm

Florrie Buckley is an orphan, living on the wind-blasted moors of Cornwall. It's a hard existence but Florrie is content; she runs wild in the mysterious landscape. She thinks her destiny is set in stone. But when Florrie is fifteen, she inherits a never-imagined secret. She is related to a wealthy and notorious London family, the Graces. Overnight, Florrie's life changes and she moves from country to city, from poverty to wealth. Cut off from everyone she has ever known, Florrie struggles to learn the rules of this strange new world. And then she must try to fathom her destructive pull towards the enigmatic and troubled Turlington Grace, a man with many dark secrets of his own.

My Review:

I enjoyed this delightful and charming family saga set in the Victorian era about fate and secrets, and about how such secrets can affect those around them. The author has a wonderful and evocative way with words. The descriptions of the Cornish countryside transported me to this most beautiful place within the British Isles and I wished I had a magic carpet to whisk me there!

The characters were well drawn, three of whom I will mention. I really liked Florence, or Florrie as she was affectionately known - she was feisty and caring with a sense of humour. I liked Old Rilla, the local wise woman as it were, who gave the tale a touch of magic and had a great influence on Florrie's life. Turlington Grace was a law unto himself, a tortured whirlwind, and I think we all know someone similar. 'Oh, Turlington...' indeed!

There were a couple of interesting twists in the plot which helped to move the story forward towards a satisfying and optimistic conclusion. I found Florence Grace, which will be published on 30 June, an easy, well written and engaging read and I look forward to Tracy Rees' next book.

Reviewed for Lovereading.co.uk.

http://www.lovereading.co.uk/book/16000 ... -Rees.html
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “By Author's Last Name R-Z”