Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Honeyville by Daisy Waugh

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue October 21st, 2014, 6:02 pm

A hooker. A mistress. A murder. This town was built on sin.

This is a time when the corrupt ruled.
This is a place that is rotten to the core.
This is the story of two women, only one of whom lives to tell the tale.

Trinidad, Colorado 1913: the only town for a thousand miles where prostitution is still legal. This is a town that is living by its own rules, a society that is upside down, where the corrupt rule and money flows. But beneath the glitter and the gaiety, bitter unrest is building. This story follows two women, both trying to make their way in a frontier town built and run for men. One lives within society's boundaries: a decent, rich life, behind lace curtains. The other is a celebrated hooker.

Based on a real-life event – a massacre of women and children – so brutal it stopped America in its tracks.
An imaginative and engaging story surrounding the 1913 Ludlow Massacre in Trinidad, Colorado. At the heart of the tale is a prostitute, Dora Whitworth, through whose eyes 'Honeyville' is told. After a murder is committed, she befriends the wealthy Inez and her brother, Xavier, and finds herself embroiled in the ins and outs of the town's unions and miners' strikes.

I found 'Honeyville' a fascinating and interesting read which kept me turning the pages. It's wonderfully written with some great characters who are well drawn and realistic. I particularly liked Dora and was always rooting for her. It's cleverly plotted and although there are some serious and shocking themes, there are also some lighter moments.

A gripping, absorbing and compelling insight into an awful episode in Trinidad's history, I would recommend this book to readers who like stories combining fact with fiction but also like a hint of romance. This is the first novel I have read by Daisy Waugh and it won't be my last!

Many thanks to Lovereading.co.uk for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book which will be published in November.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “By Author's Last Name R-Z”