Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Winter Palace by Eva Stachniak

Manda Scott
Reader

Postby Manda Scott » Tue October 4th, 2011, 9:09 am

Thank you - and I've just ordered 'The Tudor Secret' which had otherwise passed me by...

looks fascinating an area ripe for further work every since Patricia Finney ceased her outstanding series.

well done, that man

m

Bestselling author of
Boudica: Dreaming. INTO THE FIRE out in June 2015: Forget what you thought you knew, this changes everything.

[url=http:www.mandascott.co.uk]http:www.mandascott.co.uk[/url]

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Tue October 4th, 2011, 10:40 am

I've just gone to look it up at Amazon. Interesting. There are 20 reviews - 4 five star reviews, 9 four star, 5 three star and 2 two star. So quite a spread of opinion. Thanks for the reviews and thoughts. I will keep it in mind.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Tue October 4th, 2011, 12:32 pm

"EC2" wrote:I've just gone to look it up at Amazon. Interesting. There are 20 reviews - 4 five star reviews, 9 four star, 5 three star and 2 two star. So quite a spread of opinion. Thanks for the reviews and thoughts. I will keep it in mind.

They are coming in mixed, but for the most part on the positive side. I really loved this at the start, it was just around halfway through they fell apart a bit. I think the one really unfortunate thing is that this is being billed as "A novel of Catherine the Great", when the MC is a minor character at court, and spends years away from said court being a wife and mother so there's a bit too much exposition catching her up on everything that's happening.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Tue October 11th, 2011, 1:07 pm

Divia, this title is available at Net Galley. You might want to sign up if you are interested. Details here.
At home with a good book and the cat...

...is the only place I want to be

Return to “By Author's Last Name R-Z”