Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, The Last Enchantment, by Mary Stewart

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue January 31st, 2012, 2:38 pm

There're four of them altogether, aren't there? There's The Wicked Day, too. I've always had difficulty getting a decent copy of The Crystal Cave so I might get it for my Kindle.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue January 31st, 2012, 5:04 pm

Yes I had trouble with TCC too, I had it on order for ages through Amazonmarketplace or playtrade - I'd got the other 2 books from these sites with no problems - and eventually the seller cancelled saying they couldn't get it. There seem to be a few copies available again, so I'll have another go; if it doesn't come this time I'll get the new edition, although it would be nice to have a matching set!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon March 26th, 2012, 11:18 am

These books have all now been re-issued in the UK in paperback - in Feb 2012 I think - and I managed to get The Crystal Cave and The Wicked Day.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon March 26th, 2012, 5:57 pm

I read and loved this series when it first came out, but going by recent experience of re-reads ruining happy memories, I think I'll leave it in the past :)

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Fri February 22nd, 2013, 1:07 am

[quote=""annis""]I read and loved this series when it first came out, but going by recent experience of re-reads ruining happy memories, I think I'll leave it in the past :) [/quote]

I did not read this series when it first came out and am currently about 2/3 through The Crystal Cave. I thought the beginning was somewhat slow and I am not finding this book as positive as so many others did. I am a fan of the Arthurian legend from Tennyson's Idylls of the King (have vivid memories of my 10th grade English teacher reading this aloud) to The Mists of Avalon (one of the few books I have read twice) to even Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I just don't know why this book is not grabbing me, but I will continue reading the series.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Return to “By Author's Last Name R-Z”