Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat December 11th, 2010, 6:59 pm

[quote=""Michy""]However, I felt that towards the end, the book fell apart somewhat. That is, some of the scenes were ludicrous and made the characters seem not just quirky (as they had all along) but downright ridiculous. I wish some of those parts had been written in a different way, and some left out entirely. But I haven't run across anyone else who felt that way, so I'm obviously in a minority...[/quote]

I also noticed how different the two sections were, and had my quibbles at the end, but all in all enjoyed it. This book had two authors; the original writer died when the book was almost completed. Her neice completed it and had it published. I don't know who wrote what parts, or what parts the neice changed, but I suspect that does explain the differences

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Sun December 12th, 2010, 4:32 am

[quote=""Ash""]I also noticed how different the two sections were, and had my quibbles at the end, but all in all enjoyed it. This book had two authors; the original writer died when the book was almost completed. Her neice completed it and had it published. I don't know who wrote what parts, or what parts the neice changed, but I suspect that does explain the differences[/quote]

I didn't realize this fact. It does explain the very tidied up plots at the end.

I loved the rest of the book.

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Sun December 12th, 2010, 7:09 pm

I loved this book. It's very heartwarming, the characters are quirky, and the writing style is unique.

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Mon December 13th, 2010, 8:05 am

I just lent this to a friends whose relatives lived on Jersey during the occupation, apparently there was no electricity or gas on the island after D-Day. And they had to share their house with German Officers!

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Re: The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

Post by Rowan » Mon April 30th, 2018, 2:36 am

10 years after the last post about this amazing book and I'm just here to confess that I just now read it because I thought it was something entirely different. I happened to see the trailer for the film and my first reaction was, "Oh." I immediately went out and bought it and devoured it soon after.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon April 30th, 2018, 3:36 am

I, too was put off by the odd title. But after enough people whose tastes I knew I shared said it was good, I read it. A great read!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon April 30th, 2018, 12:56 pm

Still have it somewhere on a tbr mountain :oops:
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue May 1st, 2018, 3:18 pm

It's a lovely story. Looking forward to the film.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Sun August 12th, 2018, 11:07 pm

I just watched the Netflix movie and greatly enjoyed it. Pared down to a two hour movie, but they captured everything that mattered and some things were nicely understated.

Return to “By Author's Last Name R-Z”