Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

I, Elizabeth by Rosalind Miles

Celia Hayes
Reader

About Elizabeth I

Postby Celia Hayes » Thu August 6th, 2009, 1:45 am

Hmmm ... very tempting to contemplate reading, and NOT written by Philippa Gregory. My own personal visualization of the Great Eliza was formed by Margaret Irwin's trilogy of "Young Bess" and "Elizabeth - Captive Princess" and "Elizabeth & The Prince of Spain". That series was terrifically sensitive and well-written - anyone else have fond memories of having read it?
Ages ago, I did an essay, comparing and contrasting those two great Queens who have historical eras named after them.

For your amusement, here.
Celia Hayes
www.celiahayes.com

Veronica
Avid Reader

Postby Veronica » Thu August 6th, 2009, 2:17 am

I've read the Young Bess only a few weeks ago. Didn't stick with me at all. But if I come across the sequels I might buy them anyway.
[SIZE="3"]"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"[/SIZE]

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Postby Carla » Thu August 6th, 2009, 4:18 pm

"Celia Hayes" wrote:Hmmm ... very tempting to contemplate reading, and NOT written by Philippa Gregory. My own personal visualization of the Great Eliza was formed by Margaret Irwin's trilogy of "Young Bess" and "Elizabeth - Captive Princess" and "Elizabeth & The Prince of Spain". That series was terrifically sensitive and well-written - anyone else have fond memories of having read it?
Ages ago, I did an essay, comparing and contrasting those two great Queens who have historical eras named after them.

For your amusement, here.

Yes, me! The Margaret Irwin series wasn't by any means the first fictional portrayal of Elizabeth that I read, but it's the one that made me go "Wow!" and has stuck with me ever since. Still one of my favourites, along with her appearance in Kipling's short story "Gloriana".

Thanks for the link to your essay.
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Postby zsigandr » Thu August 6th, 2009, 5:32 pm

Thanks for the review Amy! I had eyed this one a couple of times, but did not try it as I was unsure of the portrayal of Elizabeth. I have been disappointed in other novels about her, so I am glad to hear that there are a couple of great ones out there.
Andrea

Veronica
Avid Reader

Postby Veronica » Tue September 1st, 2009, 12:47 pm

Finished "I, Elizabeth" just now and would really recommended it. I haven't read too many books about her but this made me think of her as a person, not just a queen down the history lane. I reckon that this could be a good book to start off with for anyone who wants to start reading about Elizabeth, gives a good insight. Rosalind Miles has a very compelling way of writing and I read "Back to Eden" many, many years ago and this was my second book by her. I can say that I'll read her Guenivere (sorry, don't know how to spell that name) trilogy at some stage.

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Postby zsigandr » Tue September 1st, 2009, 10:41 pm

I am so excited! I found a copy of this book in our local used book store and can't wait to get into this one. Just have a couple of library books to finish first.
Andrea

Veronica
Avid Reader

Postby Veronica » Tue September 1st, 2009, 11:35 pm

"zsigandr" wrote:I am so excited! I found a copy of this book in our local used book store and can't wait to get into this one. Just have a couple of library books to finish first.

You should be! It was one of the best books I've read in months. :) Never mind the library books, get on to this one instead. ;)

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Postby Chatterbox » Wed September 2nd, 2009, 7:50 am

I have posted my copy on PBS, if anyone is looking for one. Same moniker as here.

Return to “By Author's Last Name M-Q”