Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Company of Liars by Karen Maitland

amyb
Reader

Post by amyb » Mon December 22nd, 2008, 9:00 pm

In this extraordinary novel, Karen Maitland delivers a dazzling reinterpretation of Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales—an ingenious alchemy of history, mystery, and powerful human drama.

The year is 1348. The Black Plague grips the country. In a world ruled by faith and fear, nine desperate strangers, brought together by chance, attempt to outrun the certain death that is running inexorably toward them.

Each member of this motley company has a story to tell. From Camelot, the relic-seller who will become the group’s leader, to Cygnus, the one-armed storyteller . . . from the strange, silent child called Narigorm to a painter and his pregnant wife, each has a secret. None is what they seem. And one among them conceals the darkest secret of all—propelling these liars to a destiny they never saw coming.
There's not a better way to end the year of great reads in 2008 than to end it with Karen Maitland's first book, Company of Liars. This book has everything: love, death, friendship, witchcraft, deception...it's a little historical fiction mixed with a little fantasy rolled in to one yummy nugget of a novel.

The plot was excellent, the storytelling was just amazing and the characters are ones you are not soon to forget. This is one of those that stay with you a while. I find myself missing Camelot the most.

My favorite quote: "Home is the place you return to when you have finally lost your soul. Home is the place where life is born, not the place of your birth, but the place where you seek rebirth". - Camelot

I recommend Company of Liars to anyone who appreciates good storytelling.

Amy Says: 5 / 5

Karen Maitland has a new book, The Owl-Killers is due out in the UK on March 26, 2009. Click here for more information.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon December 22nd, 2008, 10:21 pm

Thanks for the review. I'm putting it on my wish list!
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

alice
Reader

Post by alice » Tue December 23rd, 2008, 8:16 pm

I've just started this after reading other reviews. I've only read the first chapter, but it's looking very promising. It's a great doorstop of a book, and I'm looking forward to getting stuck in over Christmas. Good to know you rated it as 5/5 :)

rex icelingas
Reader

Post by rex icelingas » Tue April 28th, 2009, 5:26 pm

This one came from a budget priced Amazon recommendation and its been so good
Set in 1348 during the reign of Edward III,`Company of Liars` tells the story of the Nine People and there escape from the plague.
The nine are an assortment of characters,all with there own story

`Company of Liars` I found a fascinating read,instead of Knights,Priests and Kings the novel dealt with the common man something different from my usual choice.The Book is dripping in Medieval atmosphere,one can almost imagine the smells of a 14th Century English Town,an ancient Tavern or the bustle of a Village Fayre.
The Characters are a strange and fascinating bunch who are all hiding something and they are slowly unravelled through the book.Though we are in Christian England there is a great tone of superstition and old pagan traditions dying hard,-Camelot the lead character and often narrator deals in `authentic holy relics` that can be bought for a price.
A book I enjoyed and you will read to the end its just to curious to stop!the feel of the book has a darkness of the old Michael Praed Robin Hood series or the old 70`s Brit Horror `Blood on Satans Claw`.The chapters were the right length and there were plenty of very interesting little touches,I hope to get her next novel `the Owl Killers` soon.

Heres an excerpt of the Book from Karen`s website

On this day of ill omen, plague makes its entrance. In a world ruled by faith and fear, nine desperate strangers, brought together by chance, attempt to outrun the certain death that is spreading inexorably toward them.

Each member of this motley company has a story to tell. From Camelot, the relic-seller who will become the group's leader, to Cygnus, the one-armed storyteller... from the strange, silent child called Narigorm to a painter and his pregnant wife, each has a secret. None is what they seem. And one among them conceals the darkest secret of all, propelling these liars to a destiny they never saw coming.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue April 28th, 2009, 7:04 pm

I enjoyed this book- good shiver-up-the-spine stuff, with a nasty little twist at the end.

The fact that Carla's book "Paths of Exile" has runes around the border that do translate into English inspired me to have a go at the rune on the tongue of the cover wolf, and yes, they do translate to a word which will certainly make sense if you've read the book. If anyone else wants to have a go, I used this list of Anglo-Saxon runes which Carla passed on to me a while back:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futhorc

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Sun May 17th, 2009, 1:18 pm

Thanks for the review rex icelingas. It sounds like a great read and is totally different than anything I have read in this genre. I will add this to the TBR pile.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun July 26th, 2009, 1:21 am

[quote=""annis""]I enjoyed this book- good shiver-up-the-spine stuff, with a nasty little twist at the end.[/quote]

I wholeheartedly agree with your description. I found this compelling and a page turner. I'll wait until August's Book of the Month thread to discuss this. Don't want to give anything away!
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun July 26th, 2009, 8:34 am

Thanks for the excellent review Rex Icelingas. This one is on my mental TBR pile. Is it all in present tense?
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun July 26th, 2009, 12:25 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Thanks for the excellent review Rex Icelingas. This one is on my mental TBR pile. Is it all in present tense?[/quote]

I don't think that was an excerpt from the book. I think it is from the synopsis. I hope you do read it because I would like your opinion on the historical accuracy of the depiction of that terrible year when the plague first came to England.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun July 26th, 2009, 12:34 pm

[quote=""Susan""]I don't think that was an excerpt from the book. I think it is from the synopsis. I hope you do read it because I would like your opinion on the historical accuracy of the depiction of that terrible year when the plague first came to England.[/quote]

Ah, thanks. I hadn't had enough coffee :) I read 'excerpt' and automatically went into 'book' mode as opposed to thinking of 'synopsis'.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “By Author's Last Name M-Q”