Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old novel on Dudley family

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Old novel on Dudley family

Post by princess garnet » Wed August 19th, 2009, 8:59 pm

While working on a cart of books to be weeded this afternoon, I came across an old novel about the Dudley family. It's titled Feast in the Morning by Hugh Preston.
Published in 1975, the jacket description states this book is the 1st in a series about the Dudley family from the Wars of the Roses to 17th century colonial Massachusetts.
I've looked through it a bit, the story is about John Dudley, father of Guildford and Robert and regent for Edward VI.
I'm sure this novel is no longer in print but it's interesting someone did write about this interesting English family.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed August 19th, 2009, 10:41 pm

It's always fascinating to discover a "lost" HF author. I haven't heard of Hugh Preston before, though a quick search has come up with a book which might be the sequel to "Feast in the Morning" as it was published in 1977. It's called "A Time to Lose", and the subject is listed as being Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, 1532?-1588. Unfortunately, as is often the case, there is no synopsis of the story.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Thu August 20th, 2009, 12:32 am

I have a copy of A Time to Lose but not Feast in the Morning, I don't think. Unless it's one of those without ISBNs that aren't cataloged. I'll try to find my copy of the former and report back, but I think it's about Robert Dudley and Amy Robsart.

Return to “Tudor/Renaissance”